PDA

View Full Version : Surface misalignment with Kreg Jig

Brett Bobo
04-19-2011, 2:39 PM
Has anyone else had any issues with the side with the pocket skating to where the two surfaces are misaligned? It's not as much of an issue when the two surfaces are clamped but I do notice a slight misalignment-nothing that can't be sanded or planed out, though. Maybe it's an issue of over-driving the screws as I have been using an impact driver to set the screws.

Thanks in advance,
Brett

Chris Tsutsui
04-19-2011, 3:09 PM
I think it's normal, which is why I like to clamp everything.

If you can't use a clamp, you can use a pin nail perhaps, i've seen a tipe where a pin nail gets inserted in one side, then cut short and it will go between the joining sides completely concealed.

Sometimes if it's sliding because the glue is slippery, a little sand paper grit specks or sand will help prevent the sliding.

Jeff Monson
04-19-2011, 4:03 PM
I use the kreg clamp for every joint possible. If I don't use it, I end up with uneven surfaces. I make sure the clamp is tight and the pivoting pad goes perpendicular to the joint.

Dave Novak
04-19-2011, 5:06 PM
For many joints it's quickest for me to simply clamp a scrap of wood to the bench and seat the joint against it as I tighten the screws. Saves a little time if you have a bunch.

glenn bradley
04-19-2011, 6:31 PM
Common complaint that can be solved with the right methods and hardware. Clamping is pretty much essential as it proper setup of your jig and drill stop positions. The wrong screws are another common culprit; notice in the example that the screw threads clear the joint. If your threads are in both pieces, you will often get joint-creep.

Phil Thien
04-19-2011, 7:08 PM
My procedure:

(1) Apply glue to ends of rails.

(2) Wait for glue to be absorbed. Apply a little more, if necessary.

(3) Align the pieces, and clamp face frame together with F-clamps.

(4) Run the screws in.

I do NOT bother with the Kreg clamps for this, they just don't hold the pieces of wood tight enough to each other to be reliable. The F-clamps do the trick. I clamp it like I've used mortise/tenons, then I drive the screws in. When I release the clamp, the joint is perfect.