PDA

View Full Version : Cast St Louis Arch/laser cut .125 stainless

Martin Boekers
04-19-2011, 12:59 PM
I'm looking for a small cast St. Louis Arch 4-8"

I used to buy these at Century Brass in Belleville IL.
these were cast out of aluminum I called but they were
too busy to talk with me?????

Also looking for some one St. Louis Area that could laser cut
.125 inch stainless in the shape of an Arch. I could waterjet these
but laser cut I believe will be easier to polish.

So if anyone knows where I may find these
please let me know.

Thanks

Dan Hintz
04-19-2011, 5:44 PM
Also looking for some one St. Louis Area that could laser cut .125 inch stainless in the shape of an Arch. I could waterjet these but laser cut I believe will be easier to polish.
Curious why you think laser-cut will be easier to polish... thick stainless generally means more chance for dross on the bottom edge, which means more post-laser processing.

Martin Boekers
04-19-2011, 6:29 PM
Curious why you think laser-cut will be easier to polish... thick stainless generally means more chance for dross on the bottom edge, which means more post-laser processing.

The last time that I did waterjet it was quite a project to get polished up. I haven't had a laser cut to .125 stainless.
I talked with a salesman a while back an was told the edge would be pretty nice and minimal polishing.

Laser cut I assumed (maybe wrong) that there is less setup than water-jet

We all know how salesmen are, maybe a bit optomistic?!!!

Bill Cunningham
04-19-2011, 8:28 PM
I just quoted a job for 16ga stainless parts. The company I use has both waterjet and laser, and they also told me the laser would provide the better edge. I have had pieces of 1/8 stainless come in for Cermark marking, that were waterjet cut, and although the edge was clean, it had this gray look to it.. These parts were chain gauges for large rock tumbling/processing machines so the pretty edge was not really needed. They also had a mill finish which I hate, so I brush polished them before marking. Not really needed, but there were about 300 hundred of them, so it sure brightened them up and made them more presentable for the customers customers..

Bruce Boone
04-19-2011, 9:31 PM
The lasered edge will also likely be hardened by the laser. It's not the same as sanding a milled edge. It would be good to try to finish a piece of the laser place's scrap to be sure your intended finishing method works like you think it will.