PDA

View Full Version : Moonscape

Jim Burr
04-19-2011, 12:51 PM
Saturday I headed south to my mentors place for a day of “What should I do with this?”. Most of you know Vaughn McMillan; several times a year we’ll spend a day teaching me what to, and not to do, and more time just chatting. This is a chunk of BLM burl Mike Smith sent me a while back. I had no idea what to do with it, so who better to offer an artistic opinion! It was kinda funny...we'd talk about an idea; I'd make one cut and we could see what the next move was!!...it took on a life of its own.
Sanded to 600 and 2 coats of Formby's Tung oil finish. The inside is a real mess...forgot to realign my laser when I changed tips and almost had a couple of funnels :eek:
5x5 with 1/8" walls.
An ancillary benefit is that he gives all my tools the Tormek haircut after we're done!!:cool:
C&C used on the next one

Michael James
04-19-2011, 1:04 PM
Nice one! I gotta get out that way and tear it up with my homie!
mj

John Hart
04-19-2011, 1:40 PM
Nice looking piece Jim...and equally nice visit. I hope to meet Vaughn one day. Maybe we can dig through the trash and find some plywood to turn. :)

bob svoboda
04-19-2011, 1:58 PM
Really nice, Jim. Sounds like you had a great time creating it.

Jim Burr
04-19-2011, 2:26 PM
Nice looking piece Jim...and equally nice visit. I hope to meet Vaughn one day. Maybe we can dig through the trash and find some plywood to turn. :)

John...our current endeavor is turning OSB :eek:. I still have trouble finding the grain pattern...but I'm still new :p

Steve Schlumpf
04-19-2011, 3:09 PM
Jim - that's a pretty cool little hollow form! Sure has a lot of features going for it!

Glad you had a good time! I look forward to meeting a lot of my on-line friends someday!

jwjerry w kowalski
04-19-2011, 3:26 PM
Jim,

That's a beautiful piece of wood, didn't deserve to be sitting on the sidelines. Nice job

John Keeton
04-19-2011, 3:53 PM
This is a chunk of BLM burl Mike Smith sent me a while back.:eek::eek::eek: I thought I had the BLM burl from Mike Smith cornered!!!!:eek::eek::eek: Didn't know "outsiders" were getting into my stash!!;):D

Nice job, Jim! I love working with BLM - cuts nice, and finishes out easily. Works great with dyes, too. I bet spending time with Vaughn is a bunch of fun.

Don't let MJ get in the crowd, though. He and Vaughn will want to play music all day and turning will take back seat!!:rolleyes:

BTW, Jim, I should have another load of BLM and some other goodies from Mike on its way soon.:)

Harry Robinette
04-19-2011, 4:56 PM
Jim
Great job on the HF looks really good. The time we spend with other turners is always fun and a learning experience. To be able to have fun and turn-out a piece like this, ain't nothing better then that.

Michael James
04-19-2011, 5:18 PM
:eek::eek::eek:
Don't let MJ get in the crowd, though. He and Vaughn will want to play music all day and turning will take back seat!!:rolleyes:

:)

Guitars??? Turning??? I heard something about cigars, brandy and a few friendly games of pool!! ;) ???

Ok, I stand corrected...I just remember smoke, alcohol and a pool table....but it was JB's suggestion!!!!!!

Jim Burr
04-19-2011, 5:42 PM
I have the cigars, but I'm a scotch man....and I love to play pool!! But...that could leave me alone at Vaughns mustard with all that wood....hmmmm

David E Keller
04-19-2011, 7:50 PM
That's a good looking piece, Jim! I remember you posting this chunk of wood a while back, and I think you've done it justice. The void and natural edge are things I really find appealing in pieces like this.

I've got a little source for BLM burl, and I'll be posting a finished piece soon... I can't say more or Keeton will start buying up all the wood from my source too!

Baxter Smith
04-19-2011, 9:11 PM
Great piece of wood and great job turning it Jim. Very attractive HF.

Bernie Weishapl
04-19-2011, 9:39 PM
Jim that is a great looking piece as is the wood. Yep know Vaughn well.

Hayes Rutherford
04-20-2011, 12:25 AM
Sure like that "moonscape"!!

Jim Burr
04-20-2011, 11:55 AM
Thanks for all the kind words folks...this one was a lot of fun and I really learned a lot. JK...I may arm wrestle you for some of that BLM burl!!