PDA

View Full Version : Doug Thompson Tools

Tony De Masi
04-19-2011, 11:05 AM
Well I finally saw the need to pick up a couple of new tools so I hopped on the bandwagon here and got in touch with Doug. I got the 3/8 detail gouge and the 1/2v bowl gouge. I was going to do a rock maple handle for each but the maple didn't have nearly the curl I had expected it to have. So, the detail gouge got a 13" maple handle and the bowl gouge got a 16 1/2" Brazilian Cherry handle. The cherry handle is laminated and was a real son of a gun to turn but I really like the heft of it.

John Hart
04-19-2011, 11:10 AM
Very nice Tony. I stopped over at Doug's place last fall and had a nice visit with him. He's really getting set up good and doing some pretty interesting stuff in tool making. I went home with those very same gouges that you have there. He gave me a Thompson handle for the 3/8 gouge but I have yet to turn a handle for the 1/2".
I think I'll go with lots of heft like you've done here.

Been using the 3/8" a bit lately...geez, that thing's nice. :)

Steve Schlumpf
04-19-2011, 11:13 AM
Congrats on your new tools Tony! Handles look great!

I use Monster handles with my DT bowl gouges and have one filled with BBs and the other with lead shot. Sure helps absorb vibration!

bob svoboda
04-19-2011, 11:56 AM
Very nice, Tony. You are going to like those.

Lee Koepke
04-19-2011, 11:57 AM
A DT bowl gouge is the very next thing on my agenda. I have worked my way through the useful life of my benjamin best starter kit and really need an upgrade. I seriously doubt I want to make my own handle, so I may opt for on of his handles too!

Robert McGowen
04-19-2011, 12:13 PM
Nice, Tony! I have worked my way up to about 10 Thompson gouges and they are the only way to go. I still need to make a handle for the scraper though. Maybe your post will get me out in the shop.

John Keeton
04-19-2011, 12:18 PM
Tony, I just recently got another Thompson 5/8" V gouge on Steve's recommendation. It is waiting on a handle as we speak!! Congrats on yours!

Baxter Smith
04-19-2011, 12:41 PM
Nice tools and handles Tony. Not to derail this thread but...John, my 5/8 Taylor V gouge is getting shorter since I use it on almost everything I turn. I will be replacing it in the not too distant future. Was leaning toward the Grumbine version Doug sells. Recommendations??

Jim Burr
04-19-2011, 12:46 PM
Congrats on your new tools Tony! Handles look great!

I use Monster handles with my DT bowl gouges and have one filled with BBs and the other with lead shot. Sure helps absorb vibration!

I use the same set up on my 1/2 U and V and a really huge scraper Doug didn't have on the website, but just sitting around. Wouldn't trade 'em

Peter Elliott
04-19-2011, 1:30 PM
oh.. me too! I was going to email you Tony... I was having a stressful week of sitting home with the broken foot and on Friday I decided to give myself a little
"pick me up"... Got a 5/8" V Bowl and a 5/8" Spindle. Grumbine recommended 5/8" V at lunch.

Tony De Masi
04-19-2011, 2:08 PM
Got to use these after lunch today. Never bought a tool I could use right from the maker before. Nice. On the detail gouge I really like the "meat" that Doug keeps under the flute. Give some very nice support to the cutting edge. I wasn't sure about the bowl gouge as I am used to using a couple of Crown Pro Pm's with a bit more heft to them. Well, after just one bowl I can say that I have no doubts that I'll be keeping and using this quite a bit. Like most of the rest of you I see more of Doug's tools making their way to my shop.

John H. - last fall and still no handle on the bowl gouge? Blasphemy.

Lee - making the handles is no biggie at all unless you just don't want to be bothered with it. Took about 45 minutes to do these two.

Peter - holding out on me huh? not good.

Baxter - you can get the Grumbine version from Doug or from Bill, same price I believe. Also, if you order from Bill he will also make you a handle, extra of course. He makes quite a long handle for his gouge. When finished he calls it the Pennsylvania Long Gouge. It's almost as long as my .22 rifle.

Peter Elliott
04-19-2011, 2:42 PM
Funny thing Tony, I ordered them this past Friday and got them Monday.

Wow - so quick to ship and do the little custom engraving too!

I was shocked when the boxed arrived... I hope I can try these out next week, maybe for an hour if the foot is ok.

John Hart
04-19-2011, 2:47 PM
....John H. - last fall and still no handle on the bowl gouge? Blasphemy....

I have an excuse.

It's not much of an excuse...but...still :o

John Keeton
04-19-2011, 3:45 PM
Baxter, I am not sure of the flute profile on the Grumbine gouge, but I imagine it might be somewhere between the V and the U. I love the V gouges. My 1/2" Thompson V has been great, and was plenty of tool for the Delta. The Jet has enough HP and torque to handle the 5/8" with no problem.

You should call Doug and ask him about the Grumbine tool - I know it is a HOSS! Big sucker!

Harry Robinette
04-19-2011, 4:21 PM
Tony
Looking good,know you'll love em. I just visited Doug can't find a nicer guy and not many manufactures that let you see the product made.Have 11 gouges and a skew and still going.

Quinn McCarthy
04-19-2011, 5:00 PM
The Bill Grumbine model is a 5/8" V.

I have one but haven't been able to take it out for a spin. I was able to size a blank for somebody.

I can hardly wait.

Quinn

Bernie Weishapl
04-19-2011, 5:30 PM
Congrats Tony. I know you will like them. I love mine.

Mike Peace
04-19-2011, 6:25 PM
I have the 3/8 detail gouge also and really like it. I find for me that a handle of 10" -12" about right for a spindle gouge. Longer would make it harder for me to use.

David E Keller
04-19-2011, 8:01 PM
Congrats! I've got a growing assortment of Doug's tools, and I couldn't be happier with them. In fact, I've got a Sorby 1/2 bowl gouge that's getting tough to sharpen, and it'll be replaced with a Thompson.

Cathy Schaewe
04-20-2011, 10:11 AM
My first Thompson was a 3/8", and it was my favorite tool. Then I got a 1/2" V, and it was my favorite. Then I got a 5/8" V, and it was my favorite .... you see where this is going.

David Walser
04-20-2011, 2:00 PM
My first ... was my favorite tool. Then I got a ... it was my favorite. Then I got a ... and it was my favorite .... you see where this is going.

You're going to admit you're fickle, is that where this going?

<ducks>

mike ash
04-20-2011, 9:28 PM
Based on recommendations I read on this site, I called and talked to Doug and ordered a 1/2" V bowl gouge. It arrived 3 days later with my name engraved on the handle and I immediately headed for my lathe to try it out. FANTASTIC!!!!

I'll be ordering more!!!

Mike Ash

Mike Cruz
04-20-2011, 11:34 PM
Congrats, Tony. I'm embarrassed to say that I still haven't turned a handle for my 5/8" V yet. With all the pressure to turn bowls from you guys, I keep forgetting to turn that blasted handle! I'll have to hop on that...

Doug Thompson
04-21-2011, 1:01 AM
Tony, good job and Mike get going...

Mike Cruz
04-21-2011, 7:10 AM
Hey! I thought admissions of guilt and confessions were made without reprocussion... No fair, Doug. :)

While I like my 1/2" Benjamin's Best bowl gouge from PSI (with a custom handle Tony and I made for it), I can only imagine how much I'm going to love my 5/8"...once I get a handle on it.

Tony De Masi
04-21-2011, 8:37 AM
Mike, once you get the Thompson gouge handled I know exactly what you will do with that BB gouge.:)

Joe Vincent 63
04-21-2011, 2:25 PM
Baxter, I am not sure of the flute profile on the Grumbine gouge, but I imagine it might be somewhere between the V and the U. I love the V gouges. My 1/2" Thompson V has been great, and was plenty of tool for the Delta. The Jet has enough HP and torque to handle the 5/8" with no problem.

You should call Doug and ask him about the Grumbine tool - I know it is a HOSS! Big sucker!

John,

Would you recommend the 5/8" v gouge for a new turner doing bowls and platters from about 6" in size through 11"?

Joe

Mike Cruz
09-09-2012, 1:58 PM
Doug, BTW, I HAVE turned the handle (a while ago) and LOVE it!

charlie knighton
09-09-2012, 8:51 PM
congratulations, enjoy

Jamie Donaldson
09-10-2012, 1:37 PM
John,

Would you recommend the 5/8" v gouge for a new turner doing bowls and platters from about 6" in size through 11"?

Joe

Joe- I recommend buying both 1/2" and 5/8" bowl gouges as a working pair for all bowl turning of that size range. The 5/8" is a great size for a work horse roughing out gouge, and the 1/2" for many uses on the interior finishing cuts, with a secondary bevel made by grinding away part of the heel to eliminate potential compression rings in smaller bowls.

Chris Studley
09-10-2012, 4:56 PM
I love my 5/8 DT, I too went w/ the Jatoba "Brazilian Cherry" on Mine. I too love the heft you get with it.

Nice looking handles. Enjoy.

Jim Burr
09-10-2012, 7:25 PM
I'm getting a 5/8" with handle next payday...doing bigger stuff means bigger tools. I'm getting a lot of heat from my style of turning with the 3/8". A friend of mine has a Oneway monster pussbucket of a lathe in his garage/shop. What does he have for the 50+ bowls roughed out??? Thompson!! I used his 5/8" with my style and it was amazing!!! Bunch of stealth turners in Fresno!!