PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on buying a bandsaw..................

Keith Heyer
04-19-2011, 12:28 AM
I have a chance to buy a 14" Delta Band saw model # 26-200. It is good condition, The table is a bit rusted, but can be cleaned up. The seller is asking $ 225.00. The tires appear to be in good condition too. My concern is if something goes wrong with it....the availability of parts etc.

My alternative is to save some more money and buy a Grizzly GO555X.

I am just a hobbyist. I do not see myself resawing anything large in the near future.

What are your opinions and thoughts? Should I buy the Delta or wait for the Grizzly?

mickey cassiba
04-19-2011, 12:55 AM
A lot of the parts from the more recent Deltas will fit on the 28-200, but as I recall, the bolts are SAE, whereas the more recent Deltas are metric.
A quick peek at the part list at ereplacementparts showed many parts to be discontinued, and others backorder with no due date. I think 225 might be high unless it is in excellent shape

Andrew Arndts
04-19-2011, 3:44 AM
BH&G rated the Griz at a good value and quality among many 14" BS's...

jared herbert
04-19-2011, 7:17 AM
buy it, you wont be sorry. 25 or 50 dollars on the price is small potatoes in the long run. Jared

Bill Huber
04-19-2011, 8:07 AM
I say buy it, what parts could go bad, the bearings would be the thing I would think could go out and I would bet you could go to a good bearing house and get new ones if you needed. There is about nothing else that can go wrong but the tires.

Charlie Stone
04-19-2011, 8:54 AM
Either way, I don't think you can really go wrong. There are companies that sell anything you need for replacements, motors, bearings, tires, you just have to look a little harder rather than going to the manufactures website. I have a larger Grizzly and LOVE it. The best advice I can give, is to get a good blade. Hell, you can always just make your own bandsaw from lumber.

David Kumm
04-19-2011, 11:00 AM
Delta bandsaws and unisaws have a cult following with the OWWM guys so parts and advice are pretty easy to come by. Also helpful to read Iturra's take on 14" saws. Get his catalog for info. Dave

Jim Rimmer
04-19-2011, 11:13 AM
I don't know anything about Delta saws. I have a G0555X and it is an excellent saw. I guess the question you need to ask yourself (and what your talents are) is do you want to rehab a used saw. Many do and get great bargains in the process. I don't have the skill, patience or desire to do that so I bought a new Grizz. Several have said buy - you will have to decide now how much work you want to invest.

Matt Meiser
04-19-2011, 11:18 AM
I have that same saw. Replacement parts are readily available in OWWM and Ebay if not from Delta but things you'd be most likely to break or wear out at some point--like guides, tires, electrical components, knobs, and bearings--are readily available in the aftermarket.

I just did an overhaul on mine and repowered it from the original 3/4HP motor to a 1-1/2HP. I've had a riser on it--the current production one went right on.

Dave Lewis
04-19-2011, 9:16 PM
Check the HP. I bought a Rockwell with 1/2 HP ~ 4 yrs. ago; added Coolblocks (original bearings had rusted due to decades of non-use) and it worked fine for thin stock, but thicker (say 5/4 maple) it bogged down. Same as Delta.

My dad had a 3/4 motor that was noticably stronger and I think they also sell w/ a full 1 HP. Also, look for a dust port. If you can wait, be picky about condition, motor size and dust port - i.e. they show up on CL semi-regularly.

I recently traded up to a used 3HP Bridgewood that is remarkably smooth and quiet compared to the Rockwell. It does have a dust collection port.

Bruce Wrenn
04-19-2011, 9:52 PM
If you can wait, be picky about condition, motor size and dust port - i.e. they show up on CL semi-regularly. Dust port isn't a problem. See my "Top Tip" in Wood Magazine, issue 198 (July 2010)

Jeff Nicol
04-19-2011, 11:15 PM
Keith, If you can get him to $200 and it is all there it will be a great saw for what you are going to use it for. There is one on e-Bay right now for $550 so not a bad price. Nice heavy saw with nice sturdy base.

Good luck

Randy Bonella
04-20-2011, 2:10 AM
I just finished a recent 1967 Rockwell 14" Bandsaw purchase and rehab. had to fix an upper wheel, bearing races were all messed up, replace tires and tension spring. Added a dust port and cut and installed lignum Vitae guide blocks, which by the way work great and with Lignum available at woodcraft for 99c for a 1x1x12 stick, really cheap. Mine is a 1/2 hp motor and I've got about $150 in rehab parts into it. Best purchase and value of a powered tool I've gotten and I'd do it again. It would have been better if It had a >1hp motor and riser block but for most of what I need it works well. Oh and parts are readily available. Pretty much all of the new parts for the current Delta BS work on this saw. Mine was a 28-200 Rockwell.
http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy139/rmbonella/Rockwell%2028-200%20Bandsaw/IMG_3660.jpg
http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy139/rmbonella/Rockwell%2028-200%20Bandsaw/IMG_3669.jpg
http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy139/rmbonella/Rockwell%2028-200%20Bandsaw/IMG_3665.jpg

Bruce Kohl
04-20-2011, 1:10 PM
Randy -
I have that same Rockwell 14" band saw, except mine is a mid-70's version. I've had it since it was new - it was a gift from my wife on our anniversary, so I'll never get rid of it even though I've recently acquired an 18" Rikon. The Rockwell is a great saw. Mine has the enclosed stand, a riser block, Carter guides and the factory rip fence. I did swap-out the original 1/2 hp motor for a 1 hp Baldor. The only reason I got the Rikon was for the bigger table, more power and better resaw capacity. The Rockwell now has a 1/4" blade on it and is used for curve cutting.

Yours looks to be in great condition. I like the dust collection that you added. I may consider doing that as well. Thanks for sharing the pictures.