PDA

View Full Version : Another Project with Pic

Mark Valsi
04-15-2003, 5:06 PM
Another OHIO STATE Project !

This Display case was my first (and semi-futile) attempt at a Krenov-style display case. My wife doesn't like the bottom drawer/legs assembly, says I should just use the top case.

What are your opinions ?

(opinions of USC fans are filed in the round filing bin! Miami thought they could beat us too !) <G>

TIA

Mark

Ken Wright
04-15-2003, 6:34 PM
Mark ......

32 lookers with no one offering an opinion. So, I'm going to offer you my impression (for what its worth) ..... its very difficult to get the perspective from the pic because there's nothing to visually measure it against .... with that said .... the case looks great as does the drawer .... but it appears to me that the legs might be a bit long??? but that could be because there's nothing beside as I said above.

Sure hope you'll take this in the spirit in which it is intended... to be of help!

Kevin Gerstenecker
04-15-2003, 7:57 PM
Mark, the whole assembly looks OK to me. I agree, the display case would be good as a stand alone item, but I personally don't feel the table assembly takes anything away from the display case. The legs may be a little long, but a shelf, or maybe two, below the drawer would soften the "Leggy" look of the table, if that is what seems to be bothering the "Little Lady" of the house. Just a suggestion.................Nonetheless, looks like a great piece.............I like it! Nice Job! (Being an "Illini" Fan, I won't hold anything against you!) :p

Ray Thompson
04-15-2003, 8:58 PM
Since you asked. I really like it as is, but I think if the legs were tapered and/or more delicate they might not have the long look.

Ray

Tom Sweeney
04-15-2003, 9:07 PM
I guess you're a fan then huh? :)
They can't be as good as Penn State can they?
OK OK just kidding Mark - congrats on the great season.

I think it looks great - though I agree with Ray that a little taper to the legs & a little shorter also. might be a nice touch.
Don't get me wrong - it's beautiful & a lot better than what I can do. - just a thought for next years trophy case ;)

Hope this helps.

Marc Hills
04-15-2003, 10:26 PM
Tough crowd, heh? I'm not posting my work any time soon :)

I for one think the long legs look great. In fact, while I'd usually be inclined to agree with the prior comments about tapering, I'm not sure it would have worked with this design. The legs have a delicate, graceful look without the taper.

Your drawer pull is beautiful: strikes me as vaguely oriental. What wood did you use?

It wasn't until I re-read your post that I noticed your mention of Krenov. You're right, I definitely see the influence.

Somehow I wouldn't have pegged a Buckeye fan as a student of Krenov, but then again, that's what I like about this forum, people are always surprising me.

Really nice work.

Marc

Pete Harbin
04-16-2003, 12:45 AM
Krenov's book, "With Wakened Hands", is on my list of "to gets"

I've sat and browsed through it several times at Borders...that pretty much makes it my copy, right?

Anyway, I think your display case looks great. Nice details on the drawer and the splines.

I've been sketching ideas for one I'd like to build for my den.
I'm still torn about what to display though. I've got quite a collection of old NHL game pucks and North Stars items that I'm quite proud of, but they just don't seem to fit with a Krenov type diplay cabinet. I'll probably go with the Japanese writting tools and scripts and tea cups...they seem a bit more Krenov friendly :)

Pete

Stars 3
Oilers 1

GO STARS!

Tom Gattiker
04-16-2003, 8:24 AM
Like: The way the splines/keys are repeated in various elements and in the drawer pull. The contrasing lumber--nice job using the figure.
Dislike: I would like to see a display case without the drawer assembly or just the drawer assembly (in other words an end table), rather than a "stacked" look. But that's just me.

Thanks for sharing it. Designwise it is very bold and interesting.

Jay Kilpatrick
04-16-2003, 9:00 AM
I'd agree to tapering the legs. It also may help to lesson the depth of the drawer/apron and integrate the drawer into the apron design...GO BUCKS!
~Jay

Lee Schierer
04-16-2003, 9:15 AM
I think your cabinet looks okay, The legs look long in the picture, but I think it is theperspective. It would also look better with a Nittany Lions national Championship Ball in it, but then that is another story.

The walnut and maple combination looks great. Good work.

Daniel Rabinovitz
04-16-2003, 11:23 AM
The display case looks great.
The use of the various woods shows sensitivity.

But the use of an "The Ohio State" ball degrades the case.
Aren't they the only school without a woodwind in their marching band?
Should have been a Arizona State Marching Band Display.
Go Arizona State
Go Ohio State
Go Pitt
Go California University of Pennsylvania
Go Arcadia University
:D

Mark Valsi
04-17-2003, 10:49 AM
Guys,

Thanks for the comments. I appreciate the time you took to let me know your feelings.

The cabinet is a bit out of proportion because I wanted to make it tall enough that a person would not have to bend over to inspect the cabinet top part and the ball inside.

The legs do have a slight roundover for part of their length, it probably doesnt' show up very well in the picture.

I used the KREG jig for pocket holes for the construction for the legs and the stretchers.

I am glad that some of you offered negative comments. That makes me want to do better the next time.

OT: yes, Ohio State does have a Football team <GG>
and they also have the BEST DAMN BAND IN THE LAND !!

Thanks to all

Mark