PDA

View Full Version : Call It Clamshell??

mike ash
04-18-2011, 11:35 PM
I had a 2"x 12"x12" piece of cherry and wanted to do something different. I put a sort of reverse rim on it from some figured maple and black walnut in my scrap bin. My "Clamshell" measures 3" x 12" dia.

Critiques are welcome. They may influence my work on a similiar piece of cherry that is
hiding under my workbench.
191992 191993

Thanks, Mike Ash

Fred Perreault
04-19-2011, 6:59 AM
Mike, that is a very cute, thoughtful piece. I like the differing woods.

John Keeton
04-19-2011, 7:05 AM
Mike, this makes an interesting piece. It is hard to tell from the pics, but I think the transition point might do well at 1/3 from either the top or bottom, and I would probably prefer a more rounded shoulder, perhaps with some embellishment to outline the transition - a small bead, or very small ogee bead. I do like the figured and segmented rim, although I am not a fan of cherry and walnut together. Over time, the colors seem to become incompatible IMO, though others tend to disagree on that.

You have done an excellent job on this one - very clean, good joinery and well done on the finish.

John Hart
04-19-2011, 7:19 AM
Pretty neat piece. I'm one of the ones that love the cherry/walnut combination. It's one of my favorites. (which might lead you to go a different route :eek:) I agree that the transition point might be a little more appealing offset from center. But really, this is a cool piece for sure. ;):)

Bernie Weishapl
04-19-2011, 10:41 AM
Really a nice piece. I agree with the transition being more off center. I do like the cherry/walnut combo.

Steve Schlumpf
04-19-2011, 11:23 AM
Cool - a segmented clamshell bowl! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with for a design on the Cherry you mentioned!

Robert McGowen
04-19-2011, 12:19 PM
Interesting piece. I might have gone with more cherry instead of the walnut pieces. With the very long cross-grain joints, I hope that this one stays together for you.

Baxter Smith
04-19-2011, 12:32 PM
Neat design. Very attractive!

mike ash
04-19-2011, 3:05 PM
Thanks for the comments folks. I really appreciate them. I took a look at some of the bowls that I liked the shape of (but didn't know why) and find that the transition point lies somewhere near the 1/3 point. That helps me out, as there was something about the shape of this "clamshell" that wasn't fitting for me.

As a newcomer to this site, I find the information and learning opportunities to be fantastic! I shared with JK that I spend more time here than I do reading the daily news.....and that's better for my blood pressure!!!

Mike Ash

Jim Burr
04-19-2011, 7:04 PM
Sorry I missed this one Mike. Although I've never been a Saucer fan...I really like this. Wood combo and spacing is really cool. Finish looks great and the size is usable. I'd give you two thumbs up and a big "Well done"!!

David E Keller
04-19-2011, 7:55 PM
Well done, Mike, and thanks for sharing. I spend a lot more time reading this site than I do on local/national news... I find it far more inspiring and less depressing.