PDA

View Full Version : Decent sewing machine

Charles McKinley
04-18-2011, 11:17 PM
Hi All,

I know that some of you and several of the SWMBO sew. I'm looking for a good starter sewing machine for me and my 9 and 8 year old daughters.

I know nothing of brands and have done zero research so far and don't know where to start.

I'm looking for a good solid basic sewing machine that won't trash out in a couple of months. To put it in woodworking terms a good contractors saw, induction motor, castiron wings, with a good fence.

I'm willing to pay more than the Wally world special but don't need nor have the budget for the latest programable 5000 stich model.

Thank you very much,

John Poole
04-19-2011, 12:08 AM
look for a used Sailright -- they're used by sail makers and can take on heavy stuff when you decide to go for canvas, Sunbrella (r) or leather.

Belinda Barfield
04-19-2011, 8:50 AM
Chuck,

Good old Singer is hard to beat. A local fabric store hosts a "used" Singer sale twice a year. The machines are used somewhere (I forget where) for teaching purposes for one year and then sold. These are the top of the line machines will all the bells and whistles - much more than an average seamstress needs - and the prices are really good. Check with your local fabric stores to see if they do the same or something similar.

Greg Portland
04-19-2011, 2:27 PM
The local crafts show sells Bernina (high end brand) at 50% off MSRP. Their lower end models may be in your price range. There are also a lot of people upgrading from the basic models to the $$$ versions so keep an eye out on Craigslist.

Jerome Hanby
04-19-2011, 4:01 PM
My wife haunts our local CL watching for a good deal on a Babylock (which means I haunt the local CL looking for the same <g>). I see all manner of machines listed, might find a good deal form that source.

Connie Gill
04-20-2011, 8:47 AM
Check out your local schools - around here they replace their classroom models for newer and you can get a great buy on good machines.

Chuck Saunders
04-20-2011, 3:58 PM
Keep your eye out for a Bernina 801, old enough you might get a deal, Solid and simple sewing machine.

Charles McKinley
04-21-2011, 11:28 PM
Thank you,

At least I have a starting piont now. Years ago mom took her Singer in to be cleaned and it came back with the bobbin tension messed up and never worked correctly again.

Darius Ferlas
04-22-2011, 12:04 AM
I bought a Janome about 15 years ago. Pretty basic but sufficient for my needs, about 30 sitches and a moderate number of accessories.
The plan was that I'd learn how to use it and then teach wifey. The first part worked pretty well. Not so much the second.
The machine never failed me and it has been very reliable.

If I were to buy today I'd go for Brother PC420 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XE3FGO?ie=UTF8&tag=sewingmach0b-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000XE3FGO). I tinkered with it at a friend's place. He bought is for his wife and I made a sewing table for them. For the price it's packed with features and the design felt just right for the few test pieces I ran though it.

Zach England
04-22-2011, 12:19 AM
I have had pretty good luck with my necchi 7010. When my parents asked me what I wanted for christmas last year I told them a sewing machine, and my mom is a professional seamstress, so she picked it out.

Bill Bukovec
04-22-2011, 7:16 PM
My wife has a Janome 6600.

I know this is more machine than you are looking for, but I'm impressed by the engineering that went into the machine.

I suspect Janome's entry level machines are well designed also.

She bought her machine from a sewing machine store.

The staff is very knowledgable.

Also, if there ever was a problem, the store will repair it on site.

Bill

W Craig Wilson
04-23-2011, 3:30 PM
My wife's quilting buddies all have high-end machines ($1,000 - $8,000) for their serious work at home. But when the travel to conventions (Pacucha KY next week) or to retreats they take the low end Singers -- Target specials from $100. If these semi-pros can work with them for a week, they must be good machines.

Eddie Watkins
04-28-2011, 11:52 AM
My wife does commercial sewing and embroidery work. She has Babylock machines for serger?, embroidery machine and sewing machine. She also has the Singer machine she learned on and it still works, it just doesn't have all the fancy stitching.

Chris Padilla
04-28-2011, 3:39 PM
A Janome sewing machine and a Janome serger adorn my wife's sewing table and she beats them up pretty good...and loves them. No issues in the 6-7 years she's had them.

David Larsen
04-28-2011, 6:48 PM
I thought Singer was the way to go. I ended up buying 3 of them and kept taking them back because there was something wrong with them. I settled on a Kenmore from Sears and couldn't be happier with what it does for the price. Maybe a person would want to buy something more expensive if they do a lot of sewing, but the Kenmore is easy to use and will do what you want it to. I probably consider myself a little bit more on the experienced side, but the Kenmore is a great entry-level machine. Paying more will only get you added stitch options. Also, it is easy to get accessories from Sears.