PDA

View Full Version : Router Advice

Jason Solodow
04-18-2011, 8:51 PM
So I'm going to be buying a new router in the very near future and I'm not sure which one to go with..I'm planning on mounting it in a table but I also want to be able to pull it out for doing plunge routing. Long term plan is I'm going to get one of the Porter Cable production routers to permanently mount in the table, but that's down the road. I'm wavering between the Triton 3.25HP and the Dewalt 3HP. Any advice/comments/thoughts on them???

Mark Godlesky
04-18-2011, 9:27 PM
Will this be your only router until you buy the PC? If so I would suggest getting a 2 1/4 HP router with a multibase kit. I would prefer to not do a lot of hand held routing with a 3 HP class router. YMMV

Jim Rimmer
04-18-2011, 9:31 PM
I would suggest some model of Porter Cable. They have a long track record and most after-market items use PV as the standard.

dave toney
04-18-2011, 9:33 PM
If you are going to use it in a table, look at some of the plunge routers made with this in mind, some models have bases with a hole to stick a crank in to raise and lower the router.

shane lyall
04-18-2011, 10:13 PM
I went with a P-C 890 kit with plunge and fixed base. The fixed is mounted in my ext wing in my tablesaw. The plunge base is free to do hand held operations. The fixed base also has a space to adjust up and down from the top without removing it from the table. This eleminates the need for a lift saving you a ton of cash. The P-C also has an auto spindle lock for one wrench bit changes from ABOVE the table. Just flip a little lever over and when you bring motor up to change bits it locks the spindle. I can switch from table work to hand held with the flip of a lever to remove the motor and drop it into the other base.

I got a steal on mine by buying last years display model at the blue BORG but it's well worth the regular price IMO. On top of all the above, it's a great router. Quiet, soft start, light weight but well balanced, and plenty of power. I've been a Porter Cable fan for years and I don't see the differance some speak of between the old vs new quality. I own a lot of Delta/P-C stuff but I'm not brand loyal. I buy what works for me and this tool fit the bill.

Bryan Cramer
04-18-2011, 10:22 PM
Whatever you do do not get a Dewalt (2 1/4 and 1 3/4 HP) fixed base router for your table. Sawdust gets in the lift mechanism and prevents raising and lowering. I want to upgrade later when I get the funds:( to a 3 HP router in the table. I should have purchased the PC multi-base kit instead. Then when I get the 3 HP router for the table I will use both bases for free hand use. The 2 1/4 routers are easier to control freehand.

If this is you first router get a 2 base kit, then later upgrade the table to a 3 HP later.

Dave Gaul
04-19-2011, 9:10 AM
Jason, I have both of the Triton routers. If you plan to use the router out of the table too, then I agree with others and say get the 2 1/4. The 3 1/4 Triton is quite large & heavy, I keep mine in the table. I like the big guy so much, I got the little brother for hand held use. 2 1/4 is plenty of power for hand use IYAM. Some say 2 1/4 is plenty for the table too, you may just have to take lighter passes when spinning large bits like panel raisers.
The Tritons replaced my Craftsman routers. The Craftsman are ok, but the plunge base always sticks and became a safety hazard, and the Tritons went on a blowout sale, woodcraft might even still have them on sale if you want to check...

Andrew Pitonyak
04-19-2011, 10:25 AM
I love my BOSCH 1617EVSPK. The kit that I purchased includes a plunge base and a fixed base. The router currently lives in my router table. I found that the plunge base works better than the plunge capability on my festool 1010, but dust collection and bit changes are easier on the Festool.

Decisions decisions.

Ray DuBose
04-19-2011, 11:35 AM
I went through the same thing. I got the PC 890 Combo kit and had the motor mounted in a WoodPecker lift or pulled out to use by hand. I've recently put a PC 7518 motor in the lift for a dedicated router for it. The 890 is my hand held now. I wouldn't want to try to push a 7518 around by hand. the 890 actually did everything I wanted it to do in and out of a table. I've been thinking of getting a smaller router to round out my collection.

I've herd great things about the BOSCH 1617EVSPK as well. I'm a big fan of Bosch as well. Either router kit should work.

Dan Hulbert
04-19-2011, 1:29 PM
I have an old PC that I bought used 29 years ago. My best guess is that it was made in the mid 50s. Last year I finally upgraded to a PC combo kit to get 1/2 collet capacity. I'll be darned, but the new PC fits in all the old PC attachments. There may be better machines out there, but for my money and long term usefulness, I don't think you can top PC.

Mike Schuch
04-19-2011, 3:15 PM
I have two PC 690's that have served me very well. I also have 3 ancient Stanley all metal routers that get a heck of a lot of use (Dedicated bits in each one). EBay for about ~$20-$25 each. I have a couple shapers so I don't ever use a router table.

Get something good for your router table and pick up an ancient Stanley or Rockwell router for general use. They are very nice routers!

Philip Rodriquez
04-19-2011, 5:13 PM
First, IMHO, a 3 HP handheld router is too big to use so you should save that one for th table.

I think you should be looking in the 2 to 2.25 hp range. I have a Triton, 2 PC's, a Bosch 1617EVSPK, and a Bosch colt. The Triton lives in the table and it would be my last choice for a hand held. Plus, I think you have to remove the plunge spring when you mount it to the table and you would have to unbolt the entire thing if you wanted to take it out of the table.

My PC's are all 690's and they get the job done... Before I got my Triton, I kept one of my fixed bases attached to the router table.

I love my Bosch. It is really easy to swap out the bases, it is easy to control, and you can mount the base in a table and still adjust it from above. I have a 3 hp shaper and a router table... so someone else will need to comment on how well it works in a table.

Mike Schuch
04-19-2011, 6:46 PM
First, IMHO, a 3 HP handheld router is too big to use so you should save that one for th table.

Definitely!!!!! I used a PC 3hp plunge router to template out a lot of speaker cabinets... but for routine stuff it is way too bulky of a beast!!!!