PDA

View Full Version : Vector cutting leather?

Eric Edgette
04-18-2011, 7:33 PM
Hey everyone. It's been awhile but I'm back for a little help. I am in need of suggestions for something that I'm working on.

I want to be able to customize the paracord bracelets that I sell at gun shows. The easiest way that I thought of to do this would be to add a small leather band on top of the bracelet but it would involve cutting the leather into approximately a 1"x3" strip with slots on either end. What have you found to be the best looking and easiest leather to cut? I don't need the stuff very thick.

Larry Bratton
04-18-2011, 8:15 PM
I have cut the stuff 1/8" or so thick, but it tends to char and it stinks to high heaven. It rasters a whole lot better than vectoring. You might be better off to try and see what kind of leather tools are available instead of vector cutting it. The thicknesses will always be inconsistent because it's just the nature of a natural product.

Eric Edgette
04-18-2011, 8:18 PM
Hmm. Maybe if I get the shape figured out I could have someone use a water jet to cut them out? Then do the raster at the events. What type of leather should I be looking for?

Larry Bratton
04-19-2011, 10:40 AM
Something along the lines of this stuff http://www.lasersketch.com/catalog/LaserGrade%20Leather.htm You could also look at Tandy Leather.

Alick Ford
04-19-2011, 6:06 PM
Not only does it stink, I've found that the thinner stuff tends to curl and shrink a bit when cutting small shapes! I cut the shapes I need by hand and raster on any detail I want!

Frank Corker
04-19-2011, 6:14 PM
There's nothing wrong with a bit of stinky leather. :) and too much heat will cause it to curl, lessen the frequency from the 500 to 300 might also help. I have found that it cuts very well if you address it properly.

Larry Bratton
04-19-2011, 7:59 PM
There's nothing wrong with a bit of stinky leather. :) and too much heat will cause it to curl, lessen the frequency from the 500 to 300 might also help. I have found that it cuts very well if you address it properly.

Perhaps those European animals have hides that are more laser friendly than our domestic beasts. :)

Chris DeGerolamo
04-20-2011, 11:06 AM
It doesn't smell *that* bad. I cut it for key chains and holsters...just drop your frequency to something a little lower. On our 35w, I use 20s 100p with 250 frequency and get good results.

Kevin Huffman
04-20-2011, 1:43 PM
It really depends if your customers want the burnt look or not. Western applications this application looks great, most others not so much.
The thinner leather the better. For anything thicker than 1/8th inch, I would suggest 2 passes.

I did some guitar straps for a custom sample that came out really good. They had two straps, the first one was a continuous piece (a lil more than 1/8th inch thick), the 2nd strap was the decorative layer (less than 1/8th inch thick). We had to turn our PPI/Frequency down to 33 (the lowest setting our machines can go).

Gary and Jessica Houghton
04-20-2011, 1:49 PM
I have recently tried to cut through leather as well. I ran into the "nap" on the back being thicker and not getting a good cut. It looks as though it is frayed now. I tried some thinner leather with not as much "nap" on the back and it cut perfect.

I agree that it etches beautifully. - You get used to the smell.:)

Chris DeGerolamo
04-20-2011, 3:49 PM
I have recently tried to cut through leather as well. I ran into the "nap" on the back being thicker and not getting a good cut. It looks as though it is frayed now. I tried some thinner leather with not as much "nap" on the back and it cut perfect.

I agree that it etches beautifully. - You get used to the smell.:)

Have you looked into burnishing the edges?

Sandy Henry
04-20-2011, 4:38 PM
If you intend to raster it also, chrome tanned leather would probably be best. Latigo would probably be best. Check Weaver Leather in Ohio 800-932-8371
They can supply any thickness you require. You might consider having them "punch" the shape you need - if you order in high volume. Good luck! Sandy

Rand Luka
04-21-2011, 8:56 AM
Hi,
I'm vector cutting a lot of tanned leather, and the best way I've found is to soak the piece in water, let it drip the excess water for a couple of minutes, then vector cut it. I use a 40W Zing and usually go with 80s 50p and maximum frequency. You will get a clean cut, and minimum smell. Then leave it for a couple of hours to dry or use a hair dryer.
The leather I used is about 1/16" thick or a little less.

Rand