PDA

View Full Version : Importing a SawStop into Canada?

Stuart A Reid
04-18-2011, 7:26 PM
From my investigation a PCS with the 36" fence is running about $500 less in the US than in Canada. Given the favourable exchange rate (from my Canadian point of view...:)) that adds up to an even bigger difference.

Has anybody imported a SawStop into Canada from the US?

Roderick Gentry
04-18-2011, 9:02 PM
I was looking on a Canadian site, and the concensus seemed to be "maybe". Depending on how exciting the destination and how far you had to travel, and I would add, your sensitivity to being mistaken for a criminal and thrown in jail at the border... There is more than one thread of that type.

Brian Penning
04-18-2011, 9:02 PM
I don't think you'll be able to unless you buy it and have it delivered in the same state. So you'll need an address.
Then you'll have to ship it from that point to Canada.
Heck, I couldn't even buy it in another province and have it delivered to my province.

Rick Fisher
04-18-2011, 9:35 PM
If you drive down and get it, no problem.. you will probably be hit with a duty of 6% when it crosses the border, but maybe not .. depends on the mood of the border. Its an asian made product, so duties apply.. Same thing applies to Festool right now.. its a bit tough to swallow.. the US dollar costs us 97 cents and Festool is 30% cheaper in the USA..

Having said that, its nice to shop local..

Sawstop is like Festool in that they have protected dealers.. The days of things costing more in Canada than the USA should be coming to a close, but it takes a little longer with some products..

Having said all that, you only need one, is it worth all the hassle ?

Funny, I was in Vegas not long ago and went to Woodworkers Emporium.. the fella asked if I was from Canada.. I said yeah.. He said lots of Canadians.. I was buying some Rockler stuff.. I asked what they where buying, he said lots of Festool..

Kelly Colin Mark
04-18-2011, 10:01 PM
A while ago, the differential between US/Canadian prices was much larger. Now, for $500, and a biggish item like a tablesaw, I'd need to be pretty close to the border and absolutely certain that the US warranty and support would apply in Canada for it to be worth while. I'd still be paying taxes coming back in for sure, plus maybe duties, plus any state taxes. And, if something goes wrong, it's nice to have a local dealer to support you.

Now if I was buying the same dollar amount in Festool, the savings would be much greater, and it'd all become more feasible.

Ray Newman
04-18-2011, 10:37 PM
"I couldn't even buy it in another province and have it delivered to my province."
--Brian Penning

Brian: why is that?

Stuart A Reid
04-18-2011, 10:54 PM
you will probably be hit with a duty of 6% when it crosses the border, but maybe not .. depends on the mood of the border. Its an asian made product, so duties apply..

Having said all that, you only need one, is it worth all the hassle ?

hhmmm. Duty. For some reason I thought the saw was built in the US - but checking out SS's website again, I see that it indicates 100% US Engineered.

As for the hassle...it's more the principle of the thing. But then again, SS is still getting my money regardless of where I purchase.

Stuart A Reid
04-18-2011, 10:59 PM
I don't think you'll be able to unless you buy it and have it delivered in the same state. So you'll need an address.
Then you'll have to ship it from that point to Canada.
Heck, I couldn't even buy it in another province and have it delivered to my province.

It does look like SawStop is working very hard to protect their dealers. This means I would likely have to pay state taxes to buy in the US as the US dealer cannot ship out of state...then the potential of duty at the border. The Canadian taxes are a given regardless of where I buy.

This is starting to erode the benefit.

johnny means
04-18-2011, 11:24 PM
Not to hijack, but anyone making big purchases should consider my little state of Delaware. We have no sales tax:)

Stuart A Reid
04-18-2011, 11:31 PM
Not to hijack, but anyone making big purchases should consider my little state of Delaware. We have no sales tax:)

No Tax? How do you get mad at your government then? :D

I see there's a dealer in New Castle...that's only an 8 hour drive... :):)

johnny means
04-18-2011, 11:49 PM
No Tax? How do you get mad at your government then? :D

I see there's a dealer in New Castle...that's only an 8 hour drive... :):)

We moan about our $1 toll going up to $2 on weekends:)

BTW we also have a Felder dealer in Newcastle. Now your talking some serious tax savings:D

Frank Nasso
04-19-2011, 12:11 AM
This could be helpful for anyone in Canada wanting to buy something in the US but can't have it shipped to Canada...
http://shiptotheborder.com/

I never used the service but know of people who have and it worked out just fine for them.

Stuart A Reid
04-19-2011, 1:14 AM
This could be helpful for anyone in Canada wanting to buy something in the US but can't have it shipped to Canada...
http://shiptotheborder.com/

I never used the service but know of people who have and it worked out just fine for them.

I've had many items shipped to the UPS store in Ogdensburg, NY. It's only a short drive to Ottawa, ON were I live.

I saved about $150 in shipping charges when I bought my Clear-Vue DC.

Gregory King
04-19-2011, 8:22 AM
No problem to buy in the States. I bought my drill press at X-mas time from WC. Had it shipped to destination in Eastern Maine. I only live 25 minutes from that border crossing, went there and loaded it. I was only charged $5.00 for their handling of a 260 lb item. The duty is simply the GST, which in New Brunswick is 13%. I prepriced everything before buying. On this drill press with mortising attachment included, I saved in the range of $250.00. The receipt is shipped with the items which you have to present at the border. Now, if you don't live in the border vicinity and require shipping to your door, it will get expensive as different carriers get involved, obviously. Again this was my first major purchase and I can't wait to get a Grizzly planer this coming X-mas. With the two currencies at almost par, it is the opportune time to buy the big toys. Don't wait guys.

michael gates
04-19-2011, 8:33 AM
By the time you add shipping and the rest of the cross border bills you will not save anything. What happens if you get it and something is damaged, more shipping costs more wait time.

Where in Canada are you?

Anthony Whitesell
04-19-2011, 9:38 AM

You're not the only one with no sales tax, and we're closer to Canada. Good ol' NH. Live Free or Die...trying to pay your property tax bill.

Chris Fournier
04-19-2011, 9:44 AM
I've brought back plenty of larger hard goods back from the States and its pretty straight forward.

Contact Canadian Border Services or go to their web-site and I think that you'll find that there is no duty charged on this machine. Taxes yes.

With gas at $1.33/L your trip neds to be either short or very fun to make a $500 savings work. I would check with Sawstop to see how the warranty would work before I pulled the trigger. I'd also look at a smaller in country European slider if this is your budget...

Gregory King
04-19-2011, 12:16 PM
By the time you add shipping and the rest of the cross border bills you will not save anything. What happens if you get it and something is damaged, more shipping costs more wait time.

Where in Canada are you?
Michael, if it has to go back it is no different than anyone in the States sending it back to supplier. An inspection as far as damage can quickly be made at the shipping destination, before taking home. I do recommend buying though, from an established firm with a good reputation such as WC. One of my biggest complaints is that my local suppliers can not deliver in a reasonable timeframe. It appears as though they are waiting to gather a large order first. My view is if you snooze, you lose. Someone else is all too willing to assist.

Stuart A Reid
04-19-2011, 10:28 PM
I've brought back plenty of larger hard goods back from the States and its pretty straight forward.

Contact Canadian Border Services or go to their web-site and I think that you'll find that there is no duty charged on this machine. Taxes yes.

With gas at $1.33/L your trip neds to be either short or very fun to make a $500 savings work. I would check with Sawstop to see how the warranty would work before I pulled the trigger. I'd also look at a smaller in country European slider if this is your budget...

The only reservation at this point is the driving distance, and the fact that I'll likely have to pay state tax. Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a dealer within close proximity of my closest border crossing (Ogdensburg, NY)

With gas and extra tax factored in, based on the latest quotes I have, the savings are still better than $300. But factoring in the time plus the fact that the local dealer will deliver - the fiddle factor is starting to feel worth the $300. Plus warrantee support is local.

I continue to vacillate - with the real tough decision whether to purchase a Grizzly G0690 or a Sawstop PCS for $2000 more - but that's a different thread.:)

Rick Fisher
04-20-2011, 5:13 AM
The Sawstop is made in Taiwan, by a big factory that makes tools for all the other importers as well..

Brian Penning
04-20-2011, 5:59 AM
"I couldn't even buy it in another province and have it delivered to my province."
--Brian Penning

Brian: why is that?

Because, as stated in earlier posts, each dealer is protected/limited to selling in their areas only.