PDA

View Full Version : Jointing with a router

Chris Daigh
02-01-2005, 12:11 PM
I have some 8 feet boards I am jointing. They are not matching up as good as I would like. I have a 6 inch jointer and the in and outfeed tables aren't the longest. I was wondering if clamping the boards together, flushing the edges and running a router along a factory cut plywood edge that is 8 feet long to joint them. Has anyone tried this and do you see any flaws in doing this.

Mark Singer
02-01-2005, 12:19 PM
That works great with a piloting bit. Just make sure your straight edge is straight and keep the router flat. It is a pretty typical technique for long boards.

Chris Daigh
02-01-2005, 12:22 PM
Thanks, thats what I was hoping. Wish I asked a lot earlier.

Greg Mann
02-01-2005, 1:17 PM
Something else you might try. Lay the boards next to each other in the manner they will be joined, but with about 7/16 inch or so gap between them. Set your fence on one board such that as you pass a 1/2" router bit along the gap you will joint both boards at the same time. This way, even if your guide is not straight, the edges will still match up. I do not use this technique myself, because I can joint with my Festool saw or router with a guiderail, but I have seen it recommended by others.

Greg

Bob Hovde
02-01-2005, 1:21 PM
Something else you might try. Lay the boards next to each other in the manner they will be joined, but with about 7/16 inch or so gap between them. Set your fence on one board such that as you pass a 1/2" router bit along the gap you will joint both boards at the same time. This way, even if your guide is not straight, the edges will still match up. I do not use this technique myself, because I can joint with my Festool saw or router with a guiderail, but I have seen it recommended by others.

Greg

I have watched several counter installers use this technique for joining mitred corners for formica-type counters.

Bob

JayStPeter
02-01-2005, 3:50 PM
Factory plywood edges are usually pretty good, but not always. So give it a once over first.
I have read in mags that metal studs make good straight edges.

Jay

Jeff Sudmeier
02-01-2005, 3:50 PM
I have watched several counter installers use this technique for joining mitred corners for formica-type counters.

Bob

I have seen this done and helped with it, it works GREAT...

The cut line may not be perfectly straight, but because both boards were cut at once, they will match perfectly.