PDA

View Full Version : How much slop?

Lynn Reid
04-18-2011, 4:42 PM
Hi...I have built a 5 drawer jewelry box of quilted maple. I cut dados into the sides on the box and then glued runners onto the side of the drawers. I have left too much slop in the runners and the drawers dont open smoothly...the wiggle a bit...too much for my liking. I would like to ask some of you pros how do you figure the amount of play so that the box doesnt seize up in the summer or get sloppy in the winter? Im going to add veneer to the runners to tighten it up...but Im not sure just how much space to leave. Thanks in advance for your input!

Philip Rodriquez
04-18-2011, 4:57 PM
I handplane mine "to fit" then I wax them. Easy as pie!

Jeff Monson
04-18-2011, 8:37 PM
I'd try some wax on the runners 1st off. I build mine with the runners about the same width as the opening and then plane them to slide nice and smooth, fine sanding and waxing them helps also.

keith ouellette
04-18-2011, 8:46 PM
If the dados are a little loose then try some foil tape on the top of each dado and wax the runners on the side of the box. put a piece of tape on the upper part of the dado and let a small amount fold up onto the inside of the box. It shouldn't be noticeable until the drawer is pulled out and if you do it right it may look like its supposed to be there.