PDA

View Full Version : Moving a 19" bandsaw

Dave Aronson
04-18-2011, 3:57 PM
I need to move a 19" Grizzly bandsaw for a 3 hour drive. I have a minivan and a Tahoe. Do you think that it is reasonable to lay it on the spline in the back of my minivan? The biggest issue I see is getting it in and out of the minivan. The weight during travel should be fine.

Am I crazy to think that this is reasonable?

Philip Rodriquez
04-18-2011, 4:07 PM
Dave, you could do it... but not if it were my bandsaw.

Ken Garlock
04-18-2011, 4:29 PM
Good afternoon, Dave.

When I picked up my MiniMax 16" bandsaw I carried it back to the shop in my F150 laying on its back. Just up a couple rugs under the spine. The trip was about 40+ miles from Arlington to McKinney. To load it the salesman and I tripped it back on its spine and the two of us picked up the base and shoved it in. To get it out I received help from a neighbor and we just reversed the process, pull it out to the balance point and lowered the base to the ground. I used a furniture dolly to move it into the shop.

It is definitely a two man project. Take it easy and carefully.

mickey cassiba
04-18-2011, 5:35 PM
When I worked for Delta, we shipped all of the large band saws on their spines. The engineers told us to do it this way. I've seen a lot of folks naysay this method, but I've never heard why. These, of course, were the reconditioned units. The new ones came off the boat vertically, with loads of shipping damage. I'd say go for it. I would remove the table to remove stress from the trunnions.

Philip Rodriquez
04-18-2011, 5:49 PM
Big tool, small opening, 3-hour drive, and nothing to really strap it down to... What about the load and unload? Even with strong friends it is not a lot of room to work in without damaging something on the saw or the car.

Do you have a tow package on the Tahoe or the minivan? One little dent to the minivan would pay for a rental!

Norman Hitt
04-18-2011, 6:50 PM
When I picked up my MM 20 and FS 350 after the WW show in Arlington Tx, Five guys from Mini Max tilted and lifted it up and into the truck on it's spine (on top of some mover's blankets). I tied it down so it wouldn't move forward or tip over and then drove 50 miles to my Daughter's house, the next day I drove 360 miles home and unloaded it there. Absolutely no damage. Just be sure to strap and or block it so it won't tip over. The only thing I removed from the saw for the trip was the fence.

Jim Matthews
04-18-2011, 7:59 PM
Most of the weight is in the motor. If you remove the motor, you will raise the center of gravity. That will make it easier to tip into the minivan.

Lower step height works in your favor for this lift.

Measure your clearances, first. If the lift involves tipping, and sliding, you may need to use a few pallets to get the works up higher than the bumper, but lower than the lift gate.
I would also recommend you slide it in on a sheet of plywood, using pipe rollers. If you strap it down in transit, it won't shift. You could also drive wedges beneath the ply sheet to keep it from rolling.

Rollers high enough to get over the bumper will help immensely, on delivery.

Rich Tesoroni
04-18-2011, 8:08 PM
I moved a 24" Centauro on it's spine, as well as a 16" DoAll and 20" Delta. Not as sure about I'd move in the mini-van though. Have a hitch on the tahoe? Two of use pushed the Centauro up a trailer ramp with no problem.

Remove the table, motor, and anything else that comes off easily too.

Rich

John Toigo
04-18-2011, 8:23 PM
I don;t recommend this for everyone.......

Jeff Monson
04-18-2011, 8:30 PM
If the height is ok, I'd personally haul it in the tahoe. Take off the table and the motor, should be manageable with 2 people. 600lbs in a minivan is not overloading it either, whatever works best for the demensions. As stated earlier I would want to find some way to strap it down though.

keith ouellette
04-18-2011, 8:48 PM
I moved my 19" jet i just bought just like that except in back of a truck

Mike Ruggeri
04-18-2011, 8:50 PM
I moved my bandsaw for a 2 hour drive on its spine. I rented a open U-haul trailer - they are about 20 bucks for the day - and allow for easy loading and unloading. With a rented appliance dolly, I moved my HD16 pretty easily by myself without taking it apart.

Mike

Dave Aronson
04-19-2011, 9:34 AM
thanks for the feedback. I have a tow package so I'll rent a open trailer for the saw.