PDA

View Full Version : Project finished - Range box

Bill Brush
04-18-2011, 3:07 PM
A few months ago I saw this thread. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?161202-1st-Commission-.22-Caliber-Ammunition-Boxes

That served as the inspiration to make my own ammunition box, which grew into a storage box, and tool kit.

The carcass is Red Oak, the dark inserts are Alder. The screwdriver handle is walnut. I used my homebuilt box jointing jig for the corners. The barrel bolt for the tool kit door was hand made out of brass stock. The screwdriver was made from a cheap reversible where I cut off the shaft, and made a nice walnut and copper handle for it.

All in all I'm pretty happy with it. I have a lot of friends who shoot, so I might have some commissions for others.

Jim Rimmer
04-18-2011, 3:19 PM
Great looking box. Did you engrave the inlay?

Cody Colston
04-18-2011, 4:36 PM
Very nice and a well thought out design. I'm curious, too. Did you carve the Ruger emblem in the top?

Bill Brush
04-18-2011, 5:17 PM
The Ruger emblem in the top is carved with my pantograph, then I used darker stain on it to make it contrast. I guess I neglected to mention the finish. I used Watco Danish oil. Natural for the bulk of it, and Cherry for the emblem. Then I gave it a couple coats of the Watco dark liquid was.

Gregg Ramer
04-18-2011, 8:09 PM
This is a great looking ammunition box. I have to say that it is the nicest one I have seen.

keith ouellette
04-18-2011, 8:41 PM
I love it. That is a beautiful way to keep a gun. When I have spare time I'm gonna build one for my 38. to bad it doesn't hold much ammo but there never seems to be enough ammo so its a mute point:).

Do you store the gun that way or is it only for transport?

Bill Brush
04-18-2011, 9:34 PM
I love it. That is a beautiful way to keep a gun. When I have spare time I'm gonna build one for my 38. to bad it doesn't hold much ammo but there never seems to be enough ammo so its a mute point:).

Do you store the gun that way or is it only for transport?

I'll probably throw a dessicant pack in and just keep the gun in there. An attractive way to keep the gun ready.

Thanks for the compliments guys. As a construction note, I really liked working with the Alder. It took color well, and worked nicely. The piece I had was pretty soft, which surprised me. I'll have to check some other pieces to see if its typical or softer than normal.

gary Zimmel
04-18-2011, 11:16 PM
I'm thinking there is going to be a few orders from your friends.. Nice design and real nice work Bill.