PDA

View Full Version : what is this dividing gage called?

Andrew Schlosser
04-18-2011, 12:38 PM
I've been scouring the web looking for retailers and just general references to this thing, and I can only find one from a UK retailer. What is this thing called?
It divides up the overall width into equal segments without any math. Along the lines of a Fibonacci gage, but equal segments.

http://www.toolpost.co.uk/pages/Woodworking_Tools/Measuring___Marking/Precision_Measuring/point_2_point_action.jpg

Dan Hintz
04-18-2011, 12:42 PM
Generically, it's a "drawing divider"... search on it and you'll find a few pics. I am not aware of a specific name for the device, but it is a version of a pantograph. Most often these are found as "10-point drawing divider"s.

FOUND IT!: They're called "variable scales", based upon the "nuremberg scissor"...

Harvey Melvin Richards
04-18-2011, 1:15 PM
I believe that Bridge City Tools makes one of these.

John Coloccia
04-18-2011, 1:30 PM
They're also called fan spacers. Any aircraft tool supplier will cary these as they are incredibly convenient for laying out rivets. Try Avery Tools, Aircraft Spruce etc. If you go there, you will pay more as anything with a picture of an airplane on it costs more. This is lesson number one of home building...LOL.

Another good tool to have for this layout work is a proportional divider. That will save you when the holes need to be very accurate and are closely spaced.

Incidentally, I will say that aircraft tool suppliers have a wealth of tools that benefit woodworkers. For example, they make countersink cages, tiny right angle drill attachments, etc. It's definitely worth trudging through the Avery tools catalog just to see what's out there. I can't tell you how many times I go digging through my old aircraft tool toolbox looking for a special tool I bought for a completely different purpose. As an example, I have a little handle that takes piloted "deburring" bits (really just countersinks) and I often use those to countersink small, delicate holes, or even just put a slightly chamfer on a hole. In the time it would take me to set up a drill press to do it, I'm already done by hand.

Larry Komroff
04-18-2011, 1:32 PM
Point.2.Point. Woodcraft carries it, if you were looking for a source (Item #141204).

Ken Deckelman
04-19-2011, 7:41 AM
Point.2.Point. Woodcraft carries it, if you were looking for a source (Item #141204).

Yup, that is where I bought mine. Look here: http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2003796/3040/Point2Point.aspx

Buck Williams
04-19-2011, 8:28 AM
Cool, thanks for bringing this on up, looks like a great way to lay out vertical slats in Craftsman furniture.

Mick A Martin
04-19-2011, 8:41 AM
Check this video out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuHgHkFJ5Cw

mike holden
04-19-2011, 4:59 PM
These are also available in fabric stores by the quilting supplies, usually much cheaper than in ww shops.
Mike

David Nelson1
04-19-2011, 6:28 PM
They're also called fan spacers. Any aircraft tool supplier will cary these as they are incredibly convenient for laying out rivets. Try Avery Tools, Aircraft Spruce etc. If you go there, you will pay more as anything with a picture of an airplane on it costs more. This is lesson number one of home building...LOL.

Another good tool to have for this layout work is a proportional divider. That will save you when the holes need to be very accurate and are closely spaced.

Incidentally, I will say that aircraft tool suppliers have a wealth of tools that benefit woodworkers. For example, they make countersink cages, tiny right angle drill attachments, etc. It's definitely worth trudging through the Avery tools catalog just to see what's out there. I can't tell you how many times I go digging through my old aircraft tool toolbox looking for a special tool I bought for a completely different purpose. As an example, I have a little handle that takes piloted "deburring" bits (really just countersinks) and I often use those to countersink small, delicate holes, or even just put a slightly chamfer on a hole. In the time it would take me to set up a drill press to do it, I'm already done by hand.

+1 on everything you said John. I've got 2 boxes jammed full of everything you can imagine shadowed, inventoried, and marked. from my Hands on aircraft days. Now I'm just a project management paper pusher!!!

glenn bradley
04-19-2011, 6:37 PM
Yep Point2Point. Remarkably more useful that I ever thought it would be.

Gary Hodgin
04-19-2011, 7:51 PM
Yep point2point at woodcraft and another tool I can't find in my disorganized shop. I know I have one, but only He knows where.

Andrew Schlosser
04-21-2011, 9:55 AM
thanks alot guys! I even looked at Woodcraft's catalog in the measuring section and didn't see it! My wife is a quilter too, so I'll put her on the alert.
Also, John, thanks for the headsup on the proportional drawing tool. I do a little bit of work in scale, so this is really helpful. In my college drafting class, we used a scale ruler, but I can't remember how to use it! The divider is pretty simple.