PDA

View Full Version : way cool video for building a Jarvi one-piece bench

Kevin Gregoire
04-17-2011, 11:49 PM

you have to check out this video!
its 15 minutes long but well worth it, very interesting to watch!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3utt2Y5aH0&feature=player_embedded

Bruce Page
04-18-2011, 12:11 AM
Missing link?

mickey cassiba
04-18-2011, 1:02 AM
That is something to behold! Thanks for posting that Kevin.

david brum
04-18-2011, 9:44 AM
That's really inspiring. Good fun to see how the pros do woodworking. The subtlety of his bench design is a reminder of how small details, such as the angle of the legs, totally make the piece.

I shouldn't be noticing these things, but I also love how he doesn't even have dust collection on his pencil sharpener.

Bruce Page
04-18-2011, 11:27 AM
:o Technology. The video didn’t show on my iPad last night...but there it is on my 'puter this morning.
It is a cool video.

Jonathan Spool
04-18-2011, 12:26 PM
I thought I would give the video a look, but ended up watching the whole thing, twice! Outstanding and ingenious. I never saw anyone utilizing a woodmizer in that fashion, and that bending jig was incredible.
Think the guy has done this before?

Matthew Hills
04-18-2011, 12:42 PM
:o Technology. The video didn’t show on my iPad last night...but there it is on my 'puter this morning.
It is a cool video.

The iPad doesn't support flash. Some sites will auto-detect this and provide the video through html5 syntax instead. I'm guessing the forum's display of the youtube video only shows the flash version.

To OP: thanks for sharing. This was an interesting video from many standpoints.
The dust-collector snorkel near his sanding setup was interesting, although in some of the swirling-dust shots, not completely effective :-).

Matt

Darin Kauffman
04-18-2011, 2:27 PM
That was a great video. Thanks OP, for sharing that.

Ray Newman
04-18-2011, 3:03 PM
Interesting video. The creative use of the band saw mill was of particular interest -- not something seen every day. Very fine craftsmanship and execution of design.

The design and use of the steam bending jig and apparatus was also of interest. It all looks so simple, but I wonder how many hours it took and the number of jigs, forms, etc., to get it right.

What did send a chill into my hands was manhandling the large slabs over wide jointers without any guards in place. Saw with the table saw -- no splitter. Then there is the dust control.

Larry Rasmussen
04-18-2011, 3:05 PM
Wow, great stuff. Thanks much. I was just going to peek and ended up watching the whole thing then going back over some of it. I suspect many that hit the button will have the same experience and enjoyment.
Larry