PDA

View Full Version : Acacia HF and Giant Box

Kathy Marshall
04-17-2011, 11:08 PM
So this was todays project. Looked through the woodpile and found a nice chunk of Acacia. Took it to the bandsaw and cut it into 2 pieces then loaded the larger piece on the lathe and turned a giant acacia box. Then took the smaller piece and loaded it on the lathe and turned a HF. Both have just a coat of BLO so far.

As always, comments and critiques are welcome!

Kathy Marshall
04-17-2011, 11:11 PM
Oh, here's another picture to show scale. :eek: :D
The hf is 2 1/4" x 1 1/2" and the box is 2" x 5".

Baxter Smith
04-17-2011, 11:16 PM
Pretty wood and nice "little" shapes Kathy.

David E Keller
04-17-2011, 11:19 PM
I like them both, but that little HF is really sweet. I've never turned acacia, but I'm guessing it's fairly hard wood... What tools did you use to hollow that little sucker?

Kathy Marshall
04-17-2011, 11:51 PM
I like them both, but that little HF is really sweet. I've never turned acacia, but I'm guessing it's fairly hard wood... What tools did you use to hollow that little sucker?
Acacia is similar to mesquite, but in my experience mesquite cuts a little easier when hollowing. With acacia, when hollowing it doesn't seem to cut quite as cleanly, like the fibers are a little more fiberous (it does better when it's a little bit drier).

I hollowed it with my little homemade hollower that I use for ornaments. After this pic was taken, I took the tool to work and my shop foreman was able to bend the tip out a bit so it's more like a 45deg angle instead of 90. The cutter was made with a 5/32" allen wrench with about 1 1/2" inside the handle, the handle is about 6" long made from ash.

Dan Forman
04-18-2011, 3:44 AM
Well Kathy, you sure got me on the scale thing! That is some really nice wood, and lovely little forms.

Dan

John Keeton
04-18-2011, 6:51 AM
Kathy, you have the form downpat on both of these. I detect a very slight concavity to the tall box - sweet feature. Nice work on both - particularly the mini form.

Hayes Rutherford
04-18-2011, 9:12 AM
Nice work. These go well together and you could add more forms to the "set" to be displayed together.

Michelle Rich
04-19-2011, 8:17 AM
somehow I missed this yesterday..you have the most amazing wood supply. the little HF is a cutie..your box is unusual in height, but maybe you are storing asparagus or spaghetti!! :-) I made a fancy tall box like that once and put a magnet in the bottom to hold it on a metal shelf. I use it for files, rifflers, etc. in the shop. They don't get lost in the shavings that way!

John Hart
04-19-2011, 9:08 AM
Cool pics. You got me Kathy ;)

I like both pieces...but yep...that HF is just too cute.
But most of all...I like your little hollower. You just showed me a style I can get comfortable with. Thanks!! :)

Bernie Weishapl
04-19-2011, 10:34 AM
Those are really nice Kathy. The wood has a lot going on.

Steve Schlumpf
04-19-2011, 11:26 AM
Very nice work on both of these! Like everyone else - love the little hollow form!