PDA

View Full Version : Leigh FMT

John Tallyn
04-17-2011, 9:15 PM
For those that use them, is there a significant difference between the Leigh Super FMT and FMT pro. Enough of a difference to justify the $400 dollar price swing? I'm going to buy one or the other, just would like some opinions regarding the difference?
Thanks
John

Chris Rosenberger
04-17-2011, 9:58 PM
They both do the same things. The Super is lighter built & it is harder to get the wood clamped in place because the clamps & the wood are both loose from jig. You have to try to hold the wood & clamp in place while tightening the clamps.
On the Pro, the clamps are attached to the jig so you only need to place the wood & lock the clamp. I have the Pro.

John Fabre
04-17-2011, 10:06 PM
The Leigh Super FMT will do everything the FMT pro can do, the only difference is really how it's made.

harry boyer
04-18-2011, 12:21 AM
I have the Super FTM and really like it. Buy an extra set of clamps. They come in handy. Make the auxilary pieces they recommend. They help! Leigh has great tech support. I mostly use the 1/2 in. router bit but have most of the others. $400 will buy some nice wood.

Ryan Hellmer
04-18-2011, 11:37 AM
I think they have the same capabilitites but boy, all that machined aluminum and VERY well thought clamping and adjusting eases the pain in my walet. In the interest of disclosure, I bought my Pro used loaded with accessories for about half the price of new (less than I would have paid for a comparably equipped Super). Either way, GREAT jig!

Ryan

Richard Coers
04-18-2011, 1:48 PM
Personally, I would spend the extra, but, I have not cut a joint with the super. I own the Pro. Can the super cut double and quad m&t? I don't see any stops on the moveable table on the super. I love using doubles on the ends of trestle table stretchers and legs. Effortless with the Pro. I just rechecked their site. You can cut the multiples. I now have a thing about cheaper alternative tools since my band saw episode. I would still go with the Pro.

Prashun Patel
04-18-2011, 1:55 PM
I am very close to pulling the trigger on an FMT. Do you find the round tenons compromise the look of your projects - to your customers?

Chris Rosenberger
04-18-2011, 2:21 PM
I am very close to pulling the trigger on an FMT. Do you find the round tenons compromise the look of your projects - to your customers?

That is only a problem if you do through tenons & you are trying to make a piece that looks old.
But you can do square tenons on the Leigh FMT so it is not really an issue.

http://www.leighjigs.com/sfmt_specialjoints.php

Philip Rodriquez
04-18-2011, 5:17 PM
Prashun,
I have had the pro for years and I only use it when the joint is not exposed. Everything else goes through the dedicated mortiser. However, I doubt most non-ww's would know the difference. Over the last few years, I’ve also started to do more loose m&t joints, which I really like because it makes the math and setup almost foolproof. I also adapted mine so it will accept a 4" DC fitting, which works pretty well.

Ray Newman
04-18-2011, 10:41 PM
"Over the last few years, I’ve also started to do more loose m&t joints, which I really like because it makes the math and setup almost foolproof."
--Philip Rodriiquez

Philip: makes perfectly good sense to me! Do you use a jig, hollow chisel mortiser, etc., to cut the mortises? Inquiring minds want to know....

Philip Rodriquez
04-19-2011, 9:29 AM
I use the FMT for loose m&t's. It is really pretty crazy easy with the machine and, in some cases, I think it makes assembly a little easier. My General hollow chisel mortiser still gets the call if I only have a few joints to do or if I want to make an exposed joint... but just because I like the look of square exposed joints.

I actually had the "General" first... but I landed the FMT, on ebay, for a good price. I got the jig, all of the normal guides, and a dedicated PC router for about $700.00. Since then, I glued a piece of 1/4" ply to the back of the FMT and attached a 4" port so I can use it with my cyclone. This simple mod really improves the DC vs using a shop vac.