PDA

View Full Version : Question about waterstones

Jim Rimmer
04-17-2011, 8:14 PM
I recently bought a 4000/8000 Norton waterstone. Today I was sharpening my Lee alley chisels using a honing guide. I noticed on the 4000 grit side what appeared to be junk. I examined them with a magnifying headset and they appear to be very small holes. The are 1/16 to 1/8 long and not deep enough to feel with a fingernail. I'm an experienced woodworker but a rookie at sharpening. I soaked the stones for 2-3 hours and kept putting water on them as I used them. Is this normal wear on a waterstone or did I do something wrong?

Edit: I left the stones soaking for an hour or so and just went back out to the shop. Apparently the old eyes are not so good or the magnifier was playing tricks on me. Some of the "holes" rubbed off after soaking. I am guessing I got some minute trash on the honing guide roller and it got stuck on the stone. (I hope). I'll look at the remaining spots a little later after it soaks some more. :p

Larry Edgerton
04-18-2011, 7:52 AM
Jim, the stones don't have to be perfect, just flat. You'll be ok I am sure. I used hand stones for years, and as my business rolled more into remodeling/restoration I switched to a Makita flat waterstone setup as I was doing a lot more damage to chisels. I still use the hand stones for a few choice tools that never go to site.

Enjoy, larry

Cody Colston
04-18-2011, 8:34 AM
I hope this isn't considered a thread hijack but I also have a question about waterstones...combinations tones in particular. I recently ordcered a set of Norton combo stones...220/1000 and 4000/6000. After ordering, I was told that there is an inherent problem with combo stones. The 4000 grit will leave particles that get embedded in the 6000 grit side when the stone is flipped, resulting in scratches in the tool edge. Supposedly, even rinsing the stone and holder before flipping doesn't prevent it.

For those who use combo stones, is this a problem for you and if so, what is the solution?

Terry Beadle
04-18-2011, 9:14 AM
I've been using a 1000/6000 waterstone for several year. I haven't experienced the contamination you are discussing. Looking at the stone, I see uniform color and uniform wear with no notable grit manufacturing defects ( and I would consider a contaimination of grits a manufacturing defect ). I also don't use jigs on this particular stone.

I think it depends on how well you rinse the stone.... Comments any on?

Bill White
04-18-2011, 11:26 AM
I clean and face my stones after each use. They are stored in a plastic, lidded box in water with a a dash of bleach. I can't think of a negative for combo stones.
Bill