PDA

View Full Version : Shaper to Router table mods

Steve Cox
02-01-2005, 10:39 AM
There have been a number of threads about using shapers instead of router tables but I was wondering if it would be possible to turn a shaper into a dedicated router table. The issue with router bits in shapers seems to be one of speed. Could you take something like a 1 1/2 hp Jet shaper and change the pulleys to give you a higher speed? Say something like 15k rpm? Theoretically this would give you speed close enough to the router (I think) and the advantages of a shaper like handwheels, cast iron top, magnetic switches, induction motors, etc. Would this work or am I just severely sleep deprived (both my kids have the flu:o ).

Charlie Plesums
02-01-2005, 11:47 AM
If you have a shaper for the things it does well, I would certainly not worry about modifying it to work with router bits.

My new shaper goes to 9,000 rpm (and normally runs about 7,000 for my shaper cutters). A router goes around 25,000 rpm for small bits. But I have not had any problem getting good cuts from my little 1/4 inch roundover router bits running at 9,000 or even 7,000 rpm. I may feed a little slower, but the setup is so much easier that the total time is the same or less on the shaper.

Michael Perata
02-01-2005, 11:56 AM
Charlie

I opted not to get the router spindle when I got my 300, just a 3/4 and 1 1/4 spindle. What was the cost of the spindle and will it take a bushing to use 1/4" bits?

Greg Mann
02-01-2005, 1:22 PM
Shaper spindles are not designed to run at 25K. Unless you have the right bearing, you will create problems you don't want. Better to use the router bits at slower speeds or use them in a router table.

Greg

Charlie Plesums
02-02-2005, 9:34 AM
Charlie

I opted not to get the router spindle when I got my 300, just a 3/4 and 1 1/4 spindle. What was the cost of the spindle and will it take a bushing to use 1/4" bits?
The CU410 is packaged with very few options; my standard equipment included "options" like the mobility kit, 3/4 inch shaper spindle, and 1 1/4 inch router spindle (which, in addition to the router collet, holds a couple inches of the larger shaper cutters, but less than a full 1 1/4 spindle.) Your MiniMax salesman should be able to give you a price, and maybe a swap if you haven't used the regular 1 1/4 spindle yet.

That router spindle did not come with a 1/4 inch bushing, but Woodline sells them for $2; I don't expect a problem using it, but will need to be careful with a 4.7 hp motor behind the 1/4 inch shaft. I have a few bits that are only available in 1/4 inch, such as a lock miter for thin wood.