PDA

View Full Version : Holly Bowl - Finish?

Stuart Reid
04-17-2011, 6:18 PM
I have been gone for a couple of weeks but finally finished turning this Holly bowl. I asked earlier how to finish it to best show the wood and you asked for a picture so here it is. This is my first picture so I hope I get it right.

Stu

Hayes Rutherford
04-17-2011, 7:02 PM
Stuart, I would lean toward a few light coats of wipe on poly.

Bernie Weishapl
04-17-2011, 7:08 PM
Lacquer would be pretty good in keeping it's color. I did a holly Potpourri pot and used rattle can lacquer on it. Still looks pretty good.

Malcolm Tibbetts
04-17-2011, 8:12 PM
Water-based Poly will keep it about as white as anything.

Barbara Gill
04-18-2011, 6:40 AM
I always use a thin water based poly. I put on several coats lightly sanding the surface smooth between coats using 600 grit paper. I lightly sand also after the last coat and apply Renaissance wax. This gives me a natural looking no shine surface that feels like silk.

Tim Rinehart
04-18-2011, 11:27 AM
May want to apply some shellac to seal the end grain first. I haven't finished any holly yet, but wouldn't want to get the end grain darker from it sucking up too much finish.
let us know how it goes...

Stuart Reid
04-18-2011, 4:00 PM
I have read Mr. Tibbetts book, The Art of Segmented Woodturning and I have watched his DVD's, Lessons in Segmented Woodturning, over and over so I guess I will take his advice, along with others, and try the water based wipe on poly. I ordered it today and will post another picture when I get the finish applied. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Stu