PDA

View Full Version : HF as per J.Jordan 1990 article

Hayes Rutherford
04-17-2011, 5:10 PM
I can remember an article that appeared in Fine Woodworking (issue #84 1990)by John Jordan detailing how he did his bottle type forms. I just had to try this but the only tools I owned were a simple Craftsman set. I went so far as to fabricate a hollowing tool from a round shafted pry bar but never got passed turning the outside. The lathe I had at the time (Companion?) had a faceplate that mounted with a setscrew and I seem to remember a dead center for the tail stock. Well, that project as well as others would not stay mounted. I remember being discouraged with woodturning and got rid of the lathe.

While moving my FWW magazine collection I spent some time browsing and found the article again. I decided to have another go at it and this is what I came up with. (I know..I'm no John Jordan) It is about 9-1/2" tall. The box elder neck is actually from a separate piece of wood in an effort to add a little more burl to the piece. Turned from dripping wet wood, neck joined with super glue, I can only hope it dries o.k. C & C welcome and thanks for looking.

Jim Burr
04-17-2011, 5:18 PM
I beg to differ Hayes...although I seldom beg...I think it's great! Tell us more about the lid and the scalloping or whatever you did there.

Hayes Rutherford
04-17-2011, 5:32 PM
Jim, the method JJ uses typically is to turn the neck area as a cylinder about 2" in diameter and then part it off. The neck piece is chucked up (or glue block) and a tenon turned to match the form, and partially hollowed. Later glued back into the form, matching the grain, and finish turned to shape. This permits hollowing through a large hole, but ending up with a 1/2" opening in this case. The collar was created when the exterior of the base was turned, then fluted with a small carving tool using the tool rest as a guide, then the final turning done on the neck and opening. Once the neck was completed, the form was reverse chucked using a bowl rough out and 1/2" foam padding as a jamb chuck to complete the bottom.

Steve Schlumpf
04-17-2011, 5:45 PM
Exceptionally nice vase Hayes! You definitely have an eye for form! Keep up the good work!

Norm Zax
04-17-2011, 6:03 PM
Nice elegant form! Finish applied?

Dan Forman
04-17-2011, 6:04 PM
Sweet form and the fluting adds. I remember wondering how the heck you managed to hollow that through that little bitty hole. :)

Dan

Brian Libby
04-17-2011, 6:15 PM
Very nice piece. I like the neck detail.

David E Keller
04-17-2011, 6:19 PM
That's beautiful, Hayes! The carved detail is really nice, and the form is great. I don't know John Jordan, but I can't imagine that he wouldn't be proud if he'd turned this one.

David DeCristoforo
04-17-2011, 6:30 PM
Faaabulous! (They say that a lot out here in CA... just thought I'd try it.) The form is perfect from top to bottom and the detail around the neck really adds a lot of interest. The pale color of the wood goes well with the shape too.

Hayes Rutherford
04-17-2011, 6:53 PM
Thaaaaaanx for the great compliments! In regard to the form, I tried to copy it as best I could from the pictures in the article. So (David) you might say John Jordan already turned this one. I put DO on it last night and will probably wipe on some poly after that.

Bernie Weishapl
04-17-2011, 6:56 PM
I really like the form. The detail around the neck really sets it off. Really well done.

John Keeton
04-17-2011, 6:57 PM
Hayes, this is a beautifully done piece!! I love the light colored wood, and your "window lighting" really shows this piece well. Great form, and the collar treatment and neck make this one. Thanks for posting this - gives me something to shoot for.

BILL DONAHUE
04-17-2011, 7:00 PM
That is truly a beautiful piece. Perfect shape and the neck gives it a lot of elegance. Wish I had that magazine.

David DeCristoforo
04-17-2011, 7:01 PM
"...you might say John Jordan already turned this one..."

I might say that. But I also might add that if JJ had turned it it would not have been any better than this.

Tim Thiebaut
04-17-2011, 7:08 PM
You did a very nice job on this, that is beautiful!

Harry Robinette
04-17-2011, 7:11 PM
Hayes
I think JJ will be very glad he did that article if he See's this, you done good.

Bill Bolen
04-17-2011, 8:29 PM
Simply put, this is a beautiful piece. The scallops below the tall neck somehow pull it all together for me. Congrats on a fine HF. Beautiful flowing line to it.

Jim Burr
04-17-2011, 9:35 PM
Faaabulous! (They say that a lot out here in CA... just thought I'd try it.) The form is perfect from top to bottom and the detail around the neck really adds a lot of interest. The pale color of the wood goes well with the shape too.

Only in Northern Ca David...in CenCal and SoCal, you can get shot for saying that ;):D:eek::eek:

Baxter Smith
04-17-2011, 10:08 PM
Wonderful form and wood. I might easily mistake it for something other than wood with its almost fragile look.

Jeff Nicol
04-17-2011, 10:45 PM
Hayes, You should be proud of yourself for remembering and keeping all the magazines to look back at! You did Mr. Jordon proud with your vase and it is very nice, keep up the great work!

Jeff

John W Dixon
04-17-2011, 11:56 PM
Wow that is a great looking piece. Very nicely done.

Kathy Marshall
04-18-2011, 12:26 AM
Absolutey beautiful!

Michelle Rich
04-18-2011, 7:15 AM
Hi Hayes: lovely piece. I remember the 90's and tiny bases on large pieces was all the rage. It got so ridiculous that the things fell over. I love your piece except I have an aversion to the tiny base. The rest gets a WOW, that is GORGEOUS and well turned & carved from me!

Dale Bright
04-18-2011, 7:52 AM
Hayes,

This is very well done. I tried one of those forms/bottles once. I had a major "design opportunity" while finishing the neck.

I really like the form, the wood and the carving on the shoulder.

You have inspired me too try another of these, thanks.

Dale

Tim Rinehart
04-18-2011, 11:23 AM
That's a beauty. As said already, the form looks perfect. I like the treatment at the top, it adds a little flair without drawing too much from well executed form.
I'm sure it looks even better in person!
Well done!

Hayes Rutherford
04-26-2011, 11:07 PM
Here is the original form with three light coats of WOP and as per Michelle's suggestion, I turned another with a larger base. I am much happier with the fluting on this one but not as happy with the neck. I altered the smaller form from my original intent to get rid of a chain saw mark. In retrospect I think the next time that happens I might consider a fake bark inclusion as an alternative to wasting away more wood. Anyway, comments and suggestions always welcome.

Michael James
04-26-2011, 11:20 PM
Very nice! Keep em coming.

Steve Campbell
04-27-2011, 2:56 PM
Some day I will try something like this but for now I can just look at pictures and get ideas. Thank you for showing us.
Love the carving.

Steve

Jamie Donaldson
04-27-2011, 4:35 PM
Here is a John Jordan original from my collection, about the same vintage as your samples. The fluting is not very visible from this angle, but the profile and opening shape are interesting variations of the theme.

John Hart
04-27-2011, 8:12 PM
Wonderful pieces Hayes!!! I can sympathize that you may not be happy with the neck on the second piece when you put the two side-by-side, but really, if it were by itself I would stand alone quite nicely. These forms are great....and so is the wood. I sure hope it doesn't move much on you. Mine always do unfortunately.

David Reed
04-27-2011, 8:18 PM
Wow this is indeed a faaabulous piece Hayes. Or should I say pieces? A nearly matched set - wonderful. The forms with that nice narrow neck and the carving are very elegant and you did a great job with the curves. I do like the larger one all around a bit better.

Bill Wyko
04-27-2011, 8:19 PM
Quite an exquisite piece. I'd like to see it with a friction polish finish on it. Your carved decorative collar really takes it to a whole other level. Great work.

David DeCristoforo
04-27-2011, 8:41 PM
I like the second one a lot but the first (larger) one does more for me. I like the smaller base and the more "bulbous" round at the top. I could go either way with the fluting... both versions look great although the new one is more subtle. The collar is much "better" on the larger one too. So if I was buyin', that's the one for me! Maybe If I had not seen the first one, I would be more excited about the second. It is, as I said, a really nice piece.