PDA

View Full Version : It's been a rough morning

Donny Lawson
04-17-2011, 3:20 PM
When I got going this morning I thought I would finish sanding on a maple bowl I've been working on for a while and then I decided to give the new Jet a bigger workout. I've had this 15" Maple blank for over a week now and I've been dying to stick it on my lathe. So here it is. My wife had fun getting some action shots. I told her to take a few and she ended up with about 52 of them. Here are a few pics. It ended up being roughed out at a little over 13 3/4".It will not fit in my DNA bucket so I anchorsealed it and it will be ready to bag up later on today.

Steve Schlumpf
04-17-2011, 3:28 PM
Donny - sure looks like you had some fun!

Any time you end up with a rough out large than your DNA bucket - you can use a Contractor's grade plastic trash bag - it is what I do all the time! Just place your rough out into the bag, throw a bunch of the loose shavings into a box, nestle the blank into the shavings and fill the bag with enough DNA to cover the turning. Twist the bag closed, secure with a tie wrap and you are done!

Jim Burr
04-17-2011, 5:29 PM
Nice looking space Donny! Lot's of curlies should equal lot's of smiles!!! nice job on the bowl!

Dan Forman
04-17-2011, 6:08 PM
From the title I was expecting a very different sort of post. Glad I was wrong. The platter looks good, and you are lucky to have a photographer on staff. Saves a lot of time running back and forth from the tripod and pushing the timed release button. :)

Dan

Bernie Weishapl
04-17-2011, 7:15 PM
That is a nice looking bowl Donny. I use anchorseal on most of my bowls now but don't stick them in a bag. I put them on the floor in a cool place without much air movement.

David Gilbert
04-17-2011, 7:26 PM
Nice to see your new and shiny lathe. The platter looks nice too.

I can tell that you have a new lathe. You still have the lawyer guard installed. Mine stayed on for only a few minutes. I took it off and should have thrown it away. I can't imagine why anyone would want to use it. My guess is that Jet's lawyers forced them to include it with the lathe. (I am glad to see that your are using a face mask.) Although, I have to admit that so far the guard has worked to keep the lawyers away from my shop.

Cheers,
David

Donny Lawson
04-17-2011, 8:44 PM
Nice to see your new and shiny lathe. The platter looks nice too.

I can tell that you have a new lathe. You still have the lawyer guard installed. Mine stayed on for only a few minutes. I took it off and should have thrown it away. I can't imagine why anyone would want to use it. My guess is that Jet's lawyers forced them to include it with the lathe. (I am glad to see that your are using a face mask.) Although, I have to admit that so far the guard has worked to keep the lawyers away from my shop.

Cheers,
David

David, I figured out a good use for the top guard. It makes a good tool holder. I thought of taking it off but for now its not in the way(unless I use it) and then its in the way. I've tried it a few times but I keep having to look under,beside,over and around it so its in a good place where it is.

Cathy Schaewe
04-17-2011, 8:47 PM
I have to admit that so far the guard has worked to keep the lawyers away from my shop.

guess I won't be visiting the next time I'm in Rochester! ;)
I got rid of mine too ....

Baxter Smith
04-17-2011, 10:18 PM
Congratulations on your first big one!

Jeff Nicol
04-17-2011, 10:40 PM
Donny, Always fun to make a lot of pretty curls! The new lathe looks good, should keep you going for a long time! I hope to get my shop as clean as yours some day before I die, might be just a big dream though.

We will be waiting to see the finished product,

Jeff

John W Dixon
04-18-2011, 12:08 AM
David, I figured out a good use for the top guard. It makes a good tool holder. I thought of taking it off but for now its not in the way(unless I use it) and then its in the way. I've tried it a few times but I keep having to look under,beside,over and around it so its in a good place where it is.

Donny that is exactly what I do! I set everything up there. Sometimes I switch out tool rests while turning on certain projects and I lay the one I'm not using up there for easy retrieval. Looks like fun putting your Jet through it's paces.

John Keeton
04-18-2011, 6:47 AM
Nice looking roughout, Donny!! The "lawyer guard" never got installed on my Jet - can't understand how one could turn with that thing in place! Of course, I feel the same way about the guard on my tablesaw - never installed it either.

Chris Colman
04-18-2011, 9:00 PM
Guards? What guards?

Oh, those things that are designed to GET IN YOUR WAY and drive you NUTS!!!

"Lawyer guard" - that's good....:-)