PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw resaw problems

charlie kapper
04-17-2011, 2:51 PM
Anyone familiar with a bandsaw troubleshooting guide? I am currently experiencing an issue while resawing 6 inch oak. I own a Laguna 16" and after resawing the oak board it is thicker at the bottom than at the top. I have squared the table to the blade ( a new Woodslicer) and adjusted the bearings and thrust bearing. I have also tried a couple of different tension settings.
I ask about a troubleshooting guide because I am sure that I will experience something different after solving the thickness issue.

charlie

Ken Fitzgerald
04-17-2011, 3:24 PM
Charlie,

My favorite book on bandsaws is my troubleshooting guide. It's written by Mark Duginske and is a wealth of information. I purchased it twice. I loaned the first copy (bought directly from the publisher at a premium price) to a friend. Understandably in my mind, he failed to return it so I purchased the 2nd copy from Amazon. It's currently available for $13.57 and shipping. Well worth it IMHO.

The New Complete Guide to the Band Saw: Everything You Need to Know About the Most Important Saw in the Shop (http://www.amazon.com/New-Complete-Guide-Band-Saw/dp/1565233182/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1303068013&sr=1-1) by Mark Duginske

Good luck!

charlie kapper
04-17-2011, 3:58 PM
Thanks Ken, I just ordered the book. Any suggestions for the problem I am having (resaws thicker at the bottom than the top) as I need an accuarte resaw for a present I need to complete by Easter.

David Kumm
04-17-2011, 4:00 PM
If you are using a fence, is it perpendicular as well? Bottom guides adjusted? Dave

Rick Fisher
04-17-2011, 4:04 PM
I have just started to notice the same types of problems with mine.. the blade is well over a year old .. its a carbide Lennox.. I also notice I have to push way harder than I used too.. I am assuming the blade is dull..

You say you have a new wood-slicer ?

If its tension is right.. and the guides are set up right.. and its sharp.. then I would suspect speed of cut is the issue.. Check the bottom guides.. make sure gremlins didn't mess them up ?

charlie kapper
04-17-2011, 4:07 PM
Top and bottom guides adjusted. I am not using a fence... just following a pencil line on top of the board. I jointed and squared one edge of the board before resawing. The bottom omes out thicker that the top.

charlie kapper
04-17-2011, 4:10 PM
I sometimes think the Gremlins have moved into my shop...

David Kumm
04-17-2011, 4:19 PM
How much thicker? Does the blade move back against the bearing and depend on it to hold it's position? What size blade? Dave

charlie kapper
04-17-2011, 4:24 PM
The bottom is probably about 1/16 to 1/8 thicker than the top. The bottom thrust bearing is engaged when resawing. My better half is dragging me out the door so I will not be ble to respond for a couple of hours.

Rick Fisher
04-17-2011, 4:38 PM
The bottom is probably about 1/16 to 1/8 thicker than the top. The bottom thrust bearing is engaged when resawing. My better half is dragging me out the door so I will not be ble to respond for a couple of hours.

Um.. did you tell her we where talking about Bandsaws here ? I mean really .. :)

Chip Lindley
04-17-2011, 5:49 PM
I suggest using a rip fence for pieces 6" tall--set exactly parallel to the blade, not the table. Of course, if the blade is exactly square to the table, so will be the rip fence.

Just for grins, check the square used to set up whatever machine you are squaring your stock on. (jointer or tablesaw) Check your bandsaw set-up for squareness. A little bit off can easily transfer compound error from your "square" stock to your BS table/blade squareness, producing results just as you describe.

Jim Finn
04-17-2011, 8:43 PM
When resawing wthout using a fence how do you know you are keeping the board plumb thoughout the cut? I always use a fence when resawing.

Jeff Nicol
04-17-2011, 8:49 PM
Charlie, Doing it freehand is not the best way to get a good even cut, you will either need to make a tall resaw guide that is flat and true or on that has a bump in the center to take your measurement from. With the bump in the center you have the ability to make sure the blade is not pulling the wood off the line. It lets you compensate for any drift, if you use a flat guide fence some sort of feather board may be needed to keep the board against the fence. That is my 2 cents worth so hope you get it figured out.

Jeff

Jim Matthews
04-17-2011, 9:12 PM
What you're describing can be explained by the board, tipped away from the blade at the top, or the blade, inducing a bow as it spins.

I thing a fence is a good idea, in any case.

Put a scosch more tension into the blade, to see if the next pass is a bit closer.

Mike OMelia
04-17-2011, 9:45 PM
Seriously, u have to use a fence. And an angle adjustable fence at that or in the worst case, a Resaw bar attached to a parallel fence. You still need to join the bottom edge so that the board is in contact with the fence and table. This is not a "trouble shooting problem" per se.

Mike

Eric Einsmann
04-17-2011, 10:00 PM
Charlie,

My favorite book on bandsaws is my troubleshooting guide. It's written by Mark Duginske and is a wealth of information. I purchased it twice. I loaned the first copy (bought directly from the publisher at a premium price) to a friend. Understandably in my mind, he failed to return it so I purchased the 2nd copy from Amazon. It's currently available for $13.57 and shipping. Well worth it IMHO.

The New Complete Guide to the Band Saw: Everything You Need to Know About the Most Important Saw in the Shop (http://www.amazon.com/New-Complete-Guide-Band-Saw/dp/1565233182/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1303068013&sr=1-1) by Mark Duginske

Good luck!

I got "The Band Saw Handbook" also by Duginske.. How does it differ from "The Complete Guide.."?? Would it be worth having them both?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0806963980

Howard Acheson
04-18-2011, 2:25 PM
>>>> Any suggestions for the problem I am having (resaws thicker at the bottom than the top)

That is typically an issue with the blade. It's either been damaged to it is due for replacement.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-18-2011, 2:32 PM
I got "The Band Saw Handbook" also by Duginske.. How does it differ from "The Complete Guide.."?? Would it be worth having them both?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0806963980

Eric,

I don't know but the one I listed is his latest book. It is the only one of his books I have.

Jerome Hanby
04-18-2011, 3:20 PM
This may be a stupid question, but is the base square with the blade? I've got several tools where the 90 degree marking isn't quite right. On flat work, the effect is minimal, but on tall cuts...

Myk Rian
04-18-2011, 3:24 PM
Use a fence and a sharp blade.