PDA

View Full Version : forstner bit stuck in turning blank

Zach England
04-17-2011, 11:32 AM
I have been drilling out some pepper mill blanks, which is no small feat with my under-powered lathe, and the extender in the drill chuck failed and left a bit stuck in a piece of walnut. I can barely grasp the end of the bit with needle-nose pliers, but they just slip. Any tips on getting the bit out without cutting apart the blank? If I have to sacrifice something I'd rather it be the bit than the blank.

Rich Neighbarger
04-17-2011, 11:41 AM
Drill from the other end with another bit. Once you are close, you can push the stuck bit through with a stick.

Zach England
04-17-2011, 12:06 PM
I have thought about this, but the blank has already been rounded out and I don't think my jaws will grip it. I will give it a try.

Keith Westfall
04-17-2011, 4:25 PM
You might not have to drill a "full size" hole, but maybe a smaller one to allow a punch through. Then go back to your original hole and finish.

PS Never having done this, the advice may be worth what you paid for it... :cool:

John Lifer
04-17-2011, 5:21 PM
If you don't take Keith's advice, Make you a design element. Cut the blank in half where you can get a hold to the bit. Glue it back together with a piece of veneer in between.
Voila! repaired an new design.

Jonathan Spool
04-17-2011, 6:48 PM
Been there done that. Forstner bits that are stuck don't lend well to being "poked"out. They just jam in when they get cocked at the slightes angle. When my extender has let go of a bit, I ended up splitting the blank with a chisel (no wheres near the bit) to get the bit out and get back to work.

Rob Holcomb
04-17-2011, 7:46 PM
Use Needle Nose Vise Grips to get a good hold on the end of the bit. Then secure the Vise Grips in your wood vise. Grab the blank with both hands and twist it in reverse to back out the bit

Fred Belknap
04-17-2011, 8:19 PM
It may have become oblong due to heat or stress in the wood. You may be able to see which way it has changed and put some pressure on the outside to get it back round, maybe freeing the bit. Like others have said consider this info cheap.

Bryan Slimp
04-18-2011, 11:21 AM
Would it help to freeze it?

Zach England
04-18-2011, 11:23 AM
Would it help to freeze it?

That was the first thing I tried, actually. I think I will have to sacrifice the blank, which is unfortunate because I cannot get chunks of this walnut locally.

Thanks for the tips, everyone.

ray hampton
04-18-2011, 3:29 PM
try to saw the blank length -wise both sides and glue the two blanks back together