PDA

View Full Version : Work Bench/Cabinet Sketchup

David Nelson1
04-17-2011, 11:18 AM
This is my first attempt using Sketchup and really my first attempt at building anything without nails. I am using simple joinery techniques for this project mainly due to time and my skill level. Keeping it simple for now!

Primary construction will be Oak with Red Gum for the posts. Drawers will be Oak faced with Polar sides and back. I guess I'll be using hard board for the drawer bottoms. The width of the drawers has me a bit worried about sagging. I'm considering 3/8 baltic birch or something simular in liue of the hard board

The top will come later!! 3/4 plywood will do for now.

I'm open for comments and thanks for looking.

Chris Fournier
04-17-2011, 6:28 PM
Looks like you'll have a beautiful bench! You seem to be getting on with SketchUp just fine.

A few thoughts:

Why have you chosen the joinery that you have on the top front rail over a standard mortise and tenon?

Have you placed red gum and oak side by side? I personally don't think that they'd be really complimentary to each other. Are you painting the red gum perhaps?

I think that your 3/8" baltic birch ply drawer bottom idea is the right direction to take.

Enjoy your project and keep us posted!

David Nelson1
04-17-2011, 8:14 PM
I chose the removable rail so if I need to move the top will lift off the cabinets can be removed making much lighter. As far as the gum goes, this bench is being built with what's on hand. I'm not concerned with the contrast since its shop furniture. I'm more concerned with hands on and getting my feet wet :D

Working Sketchup is getting easier, certainly is a lot to learn just to stumble thru a design, I can defiantly see the benefits already.

I will be post progress as things develope. Thanks for comments!!!