View Full Version : Accidental Discovery - Scary Sharp

Richard Gillespie
02-01-2005, 7:22 AM
I've been using the scary sharp method for the past 18 months. I use 3M's 77 spray adhesive to attach the 10 sheets of sandpaper to the 5 pieces of glass I use. Two days ago, it was time to change all the sheets again, a chore I dread. The shop was cold and the heaters hadn't fully warmed it up yet. Unlike the usual results of the sheets being difficult to remove from the glass, the sandpaper came off the glass in full sheets, very easily. All I had to do is, remove the old adhesive from the glass and attach the new sheets. Made me wonder was it the cold or had the adhesive dried out.

In working on some plane irons, I wore out the two largest grits. So, as an experiment, I stuck that glass plate in the freezer over night. Sure enough the sandpaper came off just as easily as the day before.

Thought I'd share this. If this has already been discussed, sorry. I did a search and it didn't show anything.

Doug Shepard
02-01-2005, 7:34 AM
That IS good to know. So far that's being the biggest PITA feature of the SS method.
Thanks

Roger Nixon
02-01-2005, 10:27 AM
I got tired of the spray adhesives and switched to the 3M PSA mylar backed sheets in micron grits. These cut very aggressively and stay much flatter than the SiC grit wet/dry I used to use. Only three grits (15, 5, and .5 micron) are needed if you establish a 25º primary bevel on a grinder or coarse stone, make a 28º degree secondary bevel on the 15 micron, a 29º on the 5 micron, and hone the final 30º bevel on the .5 micron. These tiny microbevels remove a minmum of steel, use very little abrasive and take very little time.

Here (http://www.estimatortools.us/forum/article_view.php?fldAuto=23&faq=3) is a picture of my setup. I use a side clamp honing jig to establish the bevels. For touch ups, I just freehand. In this article I was discussing backbevels which are now in vogue, known as the "David Charlesworth ruler trick".