PDA

View Full Version : Getting Closer to a Finishing System Choice

Paul Canaris
04-17-2011, 10:52 AM
I appreciate all of the comments I received in my recent thread; "Finishing Systems - HVLP and AAA".

Not to discount anyones advise or offend anyone there comes a point where you simply have to make choices.
After Much Thought and Discussions with people on a lot of different forums I am moving in the direction of an HVLP/Compressor spraying system for my furniture shop.
I've dropped my aspiration of finding a "one size meets all needs solution", which is not an uncommon first step to take when starting out learning about something new and decided on a best long term solution for my most frequent finishing needs.
I looked at the convenience of an HVLP turbine and decided that it would be limiting in terms of the range of what it can do based upon input from a lot of users of those systems.
I decided if I need to paint walls of ceilings I will rent something such as an airless of I want to try it out.
I decided that AAA is best for production environments which I will never be.
Since I also could use a better compressor than my current portable CH (so noisy I can't stand being in the same room with it) and based upon comments of flexibility and cost that spray guns are the way to go. I am thinking HVLP guns at this point to lessen over-spray and improve transfer.
I realize that the learning curve for compressor spraying is likely steeper for than for turbine HVLP but my goal is long term, not short term.
The direction I am heading is buying the following:
A. Ingersoll Rand compressor seem to be priced well and comments give good indications of long service life. As I don't want to buy twice, I would like one that will do what I need now, and could need to do in the future as well. So I am narrowing it down to one of the following;
1. Type-30 Two Stage Reciprocating Air Compressor — 60 gall. 14 cfm. at 175 psi, 5 HP, 230 Volt 1 Phase, Model# 2340L5-V - $1,200.00
2. Ingersoll Rand Two Stage Type-30 Reciprocating Air Compressor — 5 HP, 80 Gall, 14 cfm. at 175 psi, 230 Volt Single Phase, Model# 2340N5-V - $1,399.00
or
3. Ingersoll Rand Electric Stationary Air Compressor — 60 gall, 18 cfm. @ 135 psi, . 5 HP, 21 cfm. @ 40 psi, 18.1 CFM @ 90 PSI, 230 Volt, Model# SS5L5.
B. Filter Separator - CAMAIR QC3 filter/coalescing filter/regulator - $175.00.
C. Goodyear Rubber Air Hose — 1/2in. x 50ft., 300 PSI $60.00
D. CA Technologies - Saber SS SLP HVLP/ 1 Qt. pressure pot with .8, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 1.7 needle sets. $450.00.
E. Allegro Safety Half Mask Supplied Air Respirator System-One Man $700.00 seems like a more comfortable alternative to the restrictive half face masks.
F. Two ZipWall® [4PL] 4-Pack Plus Dust Barrier Temporary Wall System $440.00. To keep it all contained. Should be safe as I intend to limit my finishes to water based,
What I am questioning at this point is my compressor choices. It's a bit confusing and I don't know how to interpret the face plate data on these units. The double stage 2340L5-V and 2340N5-V CFM ratings don't change much from higher to lower pressure ratings; whereas the single stage SS5L5 gets significantly higher cfm at lower pressure values. I thought higher cfm equated to being able to spray with a wider range of guns. I do understand that larger tanks sizes result in less compressor cycling.
Comments or observations are appreciated.

John TenEyck
04-17-2011, 1:15 PM
I think you are making a good choice for your needs by going with a compressor driven HVLP system. I ended up making the same choice but maybe for different reasons. Value was my real driver, and having a good size compressor allows me to do other things besides just spray. FYI, spraying with an HVLP/compressor set up is not a steep learning curve. I became pretty proficient, for an amateur, in only a few hours and am very comfortable now spraying both clear and paint waterbased products.

I know nothing about the gun you're thinking of, but I'm sure it's good based on your choices for everything else. From my persepective, unless you are going to be spraying all day, everyday, and with two guns at the same time, your compressor choices are probably overkill. I doubt you will need more than 12 cfm at 40 psi or so for an HVLP gun; those compressors deliver 2 - 4X that. But hey, you'll never be lacking for air. The filter is similarly overkill for spraying waterbased products, but would be a good choice if you want to spray solvent based. Anyway, you've chosen top end equipment and I'm positive it will meet your needs, but you could probably spend only half as much and the results would be just as good.

Scott Holmes
04-17-2011, 3:39 PM
You can't go wrong with any of the IR compressors you listed. Wish I had spent the money on an IR instead of the deafening one I have now...

Jeremy Brant
04-18-2011, 9:44 AM
As said, any of those compressors will be adequate for a full-size HVLP. If you don't have it already, you can even size your gun to the size of the compressor to reduce your compressor needs (and still get a decent gun). There are plenty of places to buy from, but I found a lot of good information at www.spraygunworld.com (http://www.spraygunworld.com). I've got a full size gravity fed HVLP gun, and am considering getting a mini for smaller spaces/projects. When I was compressor shopping, I found that Eaton compressors were better speced than the IR's at a similar pricepoint, and are well regarded in the mechanic world. Check out www.eatoncompressor.com (http://www.eatoncompressor.com) to see their offerings. I've been very happy with the one that I have, though it might be overkill if you are using it solely for spraying. I do not suggest the IR filter/regulator, as I've had nothing but problems with mine and really need to look into something more along the lines of what your leaning towards.