PDA

View Full Version : Almost a funnel

Greg Just
04-17-2011, 9:35 AM
This 13x4 maple bowl is "turning" out to be a real PITA. While roughing it out, the tenon broke. I had enough wood on the bottom so after getting some advice here on SMC, I turned a recess to hold the bowl in my 4-jaw chuck. Last night, while finishing the inside of the bowl, I turned a too much off and the bowl is very thin at the recess, but I did not go all the way through. Now I need more advice. Should I glue a plug in the bottom and finish the outside in my donut chuck? The inside bottom is not as flat as I would like, but if I work it much more, I will go through. I don't really want to see the plug on the side of the bowl. Thoughts? Add it to the burn pile?

Bernie Weishapl
04-17-2011, 10:35 AM
Greg that is a nice looking bowl. I don't think I would worry about the bottom being flat I would leave it as is. I might put a plug in and finish the bottom with maybe some contrasting wood or maybe the same wood if you have some and leave the inside alone. Of couse that is advice from someone who had a day to forget yesterday.:D;):rolleyes:

Paul Williams
04-17-2011, 11:12 AM
Greg, I just finished a maple bowl with a walnut base. I added the base since my maple was not quite thick enough for what I wanted. It looks good with just the small rim of walnut showing under the bowl. I would either plug the recess with a piece of maple or add a base of contrasting color.

Dick Wilson
04-17-2011, 11:19 AM
Hi Greg, Ahhhh, a design opportunity. That is my specialty. I have done this myself. Like Bernie said, other than light sanding on inside of bowl I would leave it alone. My first thought would be to turn a pedestal base that glues into the bottom. I would use a contrasting wood (dark like walnut). Maybe even turn pedestal out of cherry and ebonize it. Post it when done please.

Donny Lawson
04-17-2011, 11:26 AM
Yeah, what Dick said. Turn a nice bottom and it will turn out great. Would love to see pics when done. It sounds interesting.

Mark Hubl
04-17-2011, 12:27 PM
That is a pretty big bowl to just throw away. I would put a plug in the bottom. The bowl is nice looking, the grain is placed nicely and it looks like you undercut the lip a bit, nice touch. The bottom looks to be a bit rough yet. I would use some sort of a jam chuck, one that will support that thin middle to prevent pushing it through, bring up the tailstock and clean up the bottom and prepare for the plug. Take care since that bottom is very thin, don't want to break that middle, go slow, light cuts. If the rough spots are just around the recess then you could just chuck it in the donut, but you will still need to take care not to pop the middle. I have attached a little coco bowl that I saved. I just made a plug out of what I had laying around, walnut and purpleheart. I should have done a better job lining up the grain. You could also fiddle with a bit of a foot, but I think most would say no. Good luck.