PDA

View Full Version : Knife Box Project - Completed with pics

Dennis Peacock
02-01-2005, 1:34 AM
Well....it's been a long, tough and challenging project to make yet another knife box for the Master Baldesmith. So here it is.

Made from Curly Maple
Dyed with Aniline die
Lined with Black Velvet
Clear Coat is Deft Semi-Gloss Lacquer
Rare Earth Magnets for lid closure
Chrome bullet hinges
Box is 22" long by 5" wide by 2-1/2" tall

All I have to say is: I'm really glad this one is now over and finished!!! :D

Alan Tolchinsky
02-01-2005, 1:44 AM
Hi Dennis, I really like it. You did a fantastic job bringing out the beauty of the wood. Very nice! Alan

Gary Max
02-01-2005, 1:49 AM
Heck the case looks better than the knife---That should make the knife sell real fast.
Hope you made a couple bucks off this case. I know you are putting your heart and soul into every case you build.

Norman Hitt
02-01-2005, 4:43 AM
Dennis, I DO Believe You've Figgered out how to make a BOX, 'n Dern, She's a Beaut!!!

Mike Cutler
02-01-2005, 5:05 AM
I told'ya on your first Knife Box to not underestimate yourself or the value of your presentation case(s). In my opinion( and not humble) you've exceeded all expectations. The case and the knife will floor the european buyer. That's a beauty Dennis. Thanks for the pics

Herb Blair
02-01-2005, 7:12 AM
Dennis,
You are a master box maker! That is beautiful!
Thanks for sharing the pics.

Kirk (KC) Constable
02-01-2005, 7:36 AM
That's a beautiful box, knife or not. :)

Jeff Sudmeier
02-01-2005, 8:13 AM
Wow! That is one nice looking box! I think the knife maker is lucky to have you as his box maker!

Mark Singer
02-01-2005, 8:22 AM
Dennis,

Incredible details !!! Incredible work! The proportions are just wonderful....!

Jack Diemer
02-01-2005, 8:48 AM
Wow, that is awesome Dennis. I hope you are charging an ARM and a LEG for that craftsmanship.

Dennis Peacock
02-01-2005, 8:53 AM
Heck the case looks better than the knife---That should make the knife sell real fast.
Hope you made a couple bucks off this case. I know you are putting your heart and soul into every case you build.

Gary,

Thanks so much for the kind words....the knife was sold BEFORE I was charged to make a box. Ron's knives sell for THOUSANDS of dollars instead of hundreds. Every knife requires special handling while I have it since I'm almost the last person to handle a knife before it reaches the client. This one is sold to a gentlemen in the Netherlands and will cost him $3,000 just to get it through customs.! :eek:

Thanks Everyone for the kind words and compliments. It really means a lot to me for my friends and buddies to think good of my work. ;) :D

Mike Scoggins
02-01-2005, 9:00 AM
Dennis,

I must echo what others have said, BEAUTIFUL JOB! I love the design, wood selection, grain orientation and color. Do you have a picture from the end? I'm curious about the feet: are they essentially a square such that they look the same from the end as from the side view?

Again, great job.

Mike

Bruce Page
02-01-2005, 9:25 AM
Holy Moly that turned out great! I love the classic lines and the dye job on the curly maple!!Awesome!

Zahid Naqvi
02-01-2005, 9:50 AM
Dennis,
Fantastic job, the aniline dye really worked out great.

Byron Trantham
02-01-2005, 9:52 AM
Just beautiful! Who ever bought it, got their moneys worth.

Chris Padilla
02-01-2005, 11:07 AM
You done good, Mr. Peacock...now about that there glue.... :D

Keith Christopher
02-01-2005, 11:14 AM
Dennis,

Beautious job ! The box will surely invite whoever sees it to open it and gander at what treasure lay within such a wonderful piece.

Keith

Michael Stafford
02-01-2005, 12:46 PM
Nice job there buddy! :)

I will also echo the same comments, good design, beautiful execution, wonderful finish, a job well done! :)

Ken Fitzgerald
02-01-2005, 1:01 PM
Dennis....I echo every comment before me! Fantastic craftsmanship and design!

Dave Brandt
02-01-2005, 1:51 PM
When I first saw the knife, I thought to myself that it was an awesome piece of artwork and that I'd hate to have the commission of trying to make an appropriate case for such "art."

Now I see a beautiful box, itself a work of art. And gee, it even comes with a knife! Beautiful!

Corvin Alstot
02-01-2005, 2:03 PM
Dennis/
Looks like you will be getting more work from your knife builder!
Great job, nice tiger maple.

Scott Coffelt
02-01-2005, 2:12 PM
Looks great there Dennis ole man. So about how many thousands would thousands be? If the buyer is paying $3k for customs it must be up there in them thousands. At least give us a ball park figure like directly between $9,999 and $10,001. :p

Jason Tuinstra
02-01-2005, 2:19 PM
Dennis, the maple looks great and the proportions are perfect. Good job.

Mike Mastin
02-01-2005, 2:20 PM
I pray that you were paid a fair sum for your work. Outstanding work as usual!

Well....it's been a long, tough and challenging project to make yet another knife box for the Master Baldesmith. So here it is.

Made from Curly Maple
Dyed with Aniline die
Lined with Black Velvet
Clear Coat is Deft Semi-Gloss Lacquer
Rare Earth Magnets for lid closure
Chrome bullet hinges
Box is 22" long by 5" wide by 2-1/2" tall

All I have to say is: I'm really glad this one is now over and finished!!! :D

John Miliunas
02-01-2005, 3:52 PM
Dennis, you done OUT-done yourself!:D I sure as heck hope that you're proud of yourself, because you really, REALLY oughta' be extremely proud of how that turned out! :) If not, here's a "CYBER-SMACK"!:D Simply beautiful, my friend!:) :cool:

Dennis Peacock
02-01-2005, 5:23 PM
Looks great there Dennis ole man. So about how many thousands would thousands be? If the buyer is paying $3k for customs it must be up there in them thousands. At least give us a ball park figure like directly between $9,999 and $10,001. :p

Scott,

I'm not allowed to narrow it down THAT much....but what I can say is that the knife alone sold for a dollar figure between $8K and $16K. :eek: Sorry bud, but my agreement with the knife maker is one that I am not at liberty to disclose the actual cost of the knife. Let's just say that......with a single knife sale....I could outfit my shop with some very NICE tools!!!!! :D

Dennis Peacock
02-01-2005, 5:28 PM
Dennis, you done OUT-done yourself!:D I sure as heck hope that you're proud of yourself, because you really, REALLY oughta' be extremely proud of how that turned out! :) If not, here's a "CYBER-SMACK"!:D Simply beautiful, my friend!:) :cool:

John Ol' Buddy.....Thank YOU so much for the Cyber-Smack!!!! ;)
I am proud of this one and I can honestly say that I put ALL of my heart and soul into this one and I have some pretty cool ideas for new boxes that I "may" get the chance to make in the future.

The MBS comes by tonight to pick up the knife and the box. This will be his very first look at the box......so I'll post his thoughts about the box later tonight. I'm just a "little bit" nervous about what he may think. If it's anything short of "nice box".....I will not be making any more for him in the future.

I simply can't afford to pour my entire life into a box like this with the stress and pressure for extreme perfection that is expected by the knife maker and my doctor says that I won't last long under these conditions. I should know as my doctor comes to my shop to do woodworking on occassion.!!!! :rolleyes:

Jim Becker
02-01-2005, 10:01 PM
That maple is killin' me, Dennis! Wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!

Roy Wall
02-01-2005, 10:19 PM
Dennis,

Exquisite - Museum Quality - Magnificent!!!!!

We are totally impressed with the design & beauty...........

Fantastic Job!!

Dave Malen
02-01-2005, 10:34 PM
Dennis,
That is some beautiful tiger maple. How did you finish it? Did you plane.scrap, or use a drum sander? Great work!

Dave

Dennis Peacock
02-01-2005, 11:52 PM
Dennis,
That is some beautiful tiger maple. How did you finish it? Did you plane.scrap, or use a drum sander? Great work!

Dave

Dave,

Since this maple does NOT like to plane very well, I planed it to about 1/8" from final thickness. I then drum sanded it to almost it's exact thickness needed. I then scraped some and then sanded through 320 grit. The finish is aniline die, lacquer sanding sealer and then 4 coats of semi-gloss lacquer. Sanded with 600 grit between coats.

The funny thing about using a dye? The color you put on isn't the exact color you get when you apply the clear coat. So you MUST experiement on some scrap of the same wood first to get the color correct before you use it on the real stuff. ;)

Terry Hatfield
02-02-2005, 8:01 AM
d,

AWESOME!!!! That turned out great. You should be very, very proud of your fine work!!

t

JayStPeter
02-02-2005, 9:52 AM
Sweet!

Three snaps up in a Z formation

Jay

Jim Dunn
02-02-2005, 6:55 PM
I echo the sentiments of all the previous callers :) That is one outstanding job of building that box.

Jim