PDA

View Full Version : Millers Falls Miter box: Size 2 1/2, No 74

Mike Olson
04-16-2011, 7:48 PM
I saw this on Craigs list about a month ago but it was listed for $80 which was WAY to much for me. Then last week it went down to $50 which was still to much. Then a few days ago it was re-listed again for $25. for that, i'm willing to buy it just to stick it into storage for a month.

It seems to have the original saw with it. I think it's in pretty good shape. The bed even seems to still have little metal pin heads all along it in rows. at first I thought it was spatter or something but they are in a regular pattern so I'm guessing it's supposed to be that way.

The one piece seems to have been broken then welded or brazed back on. I only found 4 of this on my google searches and they all seem to have that same repair job so it must have been a weak point.

My only real question is, What are those posts for in the back? There is slot on the top but I couldn't get them to turn. Other than that i guess this is just a gloat post :)

David Weaver
04-17-2011, 9:21 AM
I have a 74 and it is welded very close to there, too. I wonder if they break there when they get dropped.

My weld isn't that neat, I bought it sight unseen on the guy's word that it was still lined up straight, and I'm shocked at how straight it was welded back.

No clue on the bars.

Good box for $25. My least favorite saw to sharpen though - so many small teeth.

Deane Allinson
04-17-2011, 10:45 AM
The posts in the back should turn (loosen) and slide in the track. They are stops to position crown molding, etc. at the right angle. The saw is worth the $25.00
Deane

Mike Olson
04-17-2011, 11:33 AM
The posts in the back should turn (loosen) and slide in the track. They are stops to position crown molding, etc. at the right angle. The saw is worth the $25.00
Deane

Ah! excellent, thanks for that info. I guess i'll hit it with some penetrating oil and try to get them to move.

Gary Herrmann
04-17-2011, 11:37 AM
I've got that same box as well. I must have gotten lucky and got one that hadn't been dropped. Get everything moving freely and you'll like using it. It's a great tool.

Matt Evans
04-17-2011, 11:41 AM
I have one of these. They work great. . .well worth the money you spent.

A trick to getting them loosened is to first soak them in a penetrating oil, then use a brace with the appropriate bit. A brace will give you a lot more torque, and also give you a lot more downward force to keep the bit in the slotted head so you don't damage it.

Mike Givney
04-17-2011, 5:48 PM
I also have the same box with the same weld (braze). It still cuts straight and square and I use it very frequently. If you don't plan on doing a lot of crown molding I wouldn't even loosen up the posts unless they protrude through the back on to the bed. From use, the bolts that hold them on fall out are are a pain to keep having to put back on... especially if you have it mounted on a board that clamps to a sawbench or workbench.