PDA

View Full Version : Building a tablesaw

Trevor Walsh
04-16-2011, 7:32 PM
Has anyone here considered, built used or had any other sort of encounter with a home-made tablesaw, could be treadle or not. I'm thinking about building a 90 degree only tilting hardwood top (for depth adjustment) TS for use with small parts under 7/8" thick and 30" long.

Bill Davis
04-17-2011, 4:40 AM
Don't remember the details but I put together one from a partial kit from a US company. The kit was given to my brother-in-law in Indonesia and on a visit I was able to turn it into a usable table saw. Later I looked up the company on the internet and found they had other build-it-yourself tools. Here in the Philippines most table saws are home made. The seem pretty crude by comparison to that kit but usable after a fashion. Just googled it - maybe some ideas for you here http://www.google.com.ph/search?hl=en&q=homemade+table+saw&revid=2005050973&sa=X&ei=hqeqTfoqjIi4A4fKwYkK&sqi=2&ved=0CGYQ1QIoBA

In fact looking through more google listings here is the company that I built it from http://gilliom-gil-bilt-tool-hunter.blogspot.com/

Also look here http://www.woodworkforums.com/archive/index.php/t-22394.html

Norman Hitt
04-17-2011, 4:42 AM
Yes, I helped my Dad build one when I was in Jr. High. (about 1950). It was very solidly built and we used it for several years, until I saved enough to buy him a Craftsman Contractors Saw one Christmas, which I still have today, (along with my PM 66).:D Dad sold the saw we built to an acquaintance for $35 and I never saw it again. We made a lot of things with that saw, but with that said, I cannot think of ANY reason on earth to build one when a good OLD model contractor saw can be bought for the same or less money than you can build one, and will definitely be less of a headache to use. We both hated that hinged top (for depth adjustment) and finally modified that part, and even later remodeled it to give it a tilting blade as well. Dad always said the contractors saw was the Best Present I ever gave him, (including many gifts that cost a LOT more money).

I just HAVE to ask this,:rolleyes: WHY do you want to build one?

John TenEyck
04-17-2011, 12:49 PM
I made a little one from my circular saw for job site work, until I found a used portable TS at a really good price. The home made one worked fine for what it was, but setting the rip fence wasn't easy, although it worked OK once set. The thing actually cut great with a thin kerf Diablo blade in it. I ripped quite a bit of maple with it on one job.

There was an article many years ago in FWW about a homemade wooden TS, even had a sliding table if I remember correctly. I thought about making one like it - and then I came to my senses. As a prior poster said, you can buy a nice used saw for less than what you'd spend on parts and materials to make one.

Carroll Courtney
04-17-2011, 1:24 PM
Some of the old carpenters use to take their skil saws and turn them upside down then install them in a homemade table.I've never use one like that but I guess it will work.But why, when you can find a bench type, used for little money---Carroll

Chip Lindley
04-17-2011, 1:50 PM
Has anyone here considered, built used or had any other sort of encounter with a home-made tablesaw, could be treadle or not.

Umm..NO!

I would save my energy for constructing a unique machine that cannot be readily found at a bargain price--a drum sander OR something like the JDS Multi Router comes to mind.

There are too many used TS's on the market in decent condition to spend time making one from scratch. I have seen Rockwell Model 10 contractor's saws for $100 on CL. By the time you procure bearings, pillow blocks, arbor, raising mechanism, decent fence and motor, and tinker a tablesaw into existence, your investment would be much more than that!

But, whatever floats your boat, trips your trigger, etc etc. It's still a Free Country! (sorta)

Ray Newman
04-17-2011, 2:20 PM
This thread reminds me of the old advertisements for the Gilliom Tool Kits.

For those not familiar with Gilliom or too young to remember:

http://gilliom-gil-bilt-tool-hunter.blogspot.com/2008/01/got-photos-of-your-gillom-tool-wed-love.html (http://gilliom-gil-bilt-tool-hunter.blogspot.com/2008/01/got-photos-of-your-gillom-tool-wed-love.html)

Table saw advertisement, circa 1949:

http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/imagedetail.aspx?id=1759 (http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/imagedetail.aspx?id=1759)

Links to more advertisements, 1949 -1963:

http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/detail.aspx?id=369&tab=6 (http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/detail.aspx?id=369&tab=6)

Apparently, the company is still in business:

http://www.manta.com/c/mmc1z2f/gilliom-manufacturing-inc (http://www.manta.com/c/mmc1z2f/gilliom-manufacturing-inc)

Paul Wunder
04-17-2011, 3:13 PM
Ray,

Thanks for posting those links. I remember those ads from when I was a kid. It sure brings back some memories (including LOWER prices)

Ray Newman
04-17-2011, 3:44 PM
Paul W: yes, I remember reading them when I was a lad in the 1950's. I was in high school 1960-64 and looking back everything seemed to have had a much lower price tag back then, But then I remember I knew a number of guys in high school working for under a dollar an hour or making deliveries with a bicycle for tips only....

Stephen Cherry
04-17-2011, 5:40 PM
Of course, this may be a fun project, but if your objective is to end up with a great little saw, I would consider an INCA.

Or something like this:
http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=2574

For a build your own, maybe check the Roy Underhill books.

Don Alexander
04-17-2011, 10:38 PM
made one once using a Milwaukee circular saw , some scrap plywood for the case (i made the case in 2 parts so it was usable as either a bench top or cabinet saw) top was a sink cutout from a countertop that i got for free, made the fence out of ply and used 3/4" black iron pipe for the rails, eyebolts and knobs for adjustment, and notches cut front and back of tabletop to make setting the fence very accurate
a repurposed remote switch off a trashed router table that i salvaged and a dryer vent kit to let the saw suck clean air
i spent about 6 hours making it and about $35 for the pieces i didn't have on hand (pipe, eyebolts , knobs and dryer vent kit)
worked great and used it for several years until i could afford a real TS sometimes wish i still had it

Trevor Walsh
04-18-2011, 10:57 PM
Thanks for the replies, I'm against the circular saw route, by goal is building a cool little saw, not just coming up with something to rip, I also want to be able to stick a 6" dado stack on it (yes I know most manufacturers specifically advise against this) The Gilliom Manf. Kits might be an option, and that INCA is a gem. I'd be tempted to spring for that over a built one. Thanks for pointing that one out Stephen.

johnny means
04-18-2011, 11:38 PM
You might want to think twice about making a table saw. If you ever cut your thumb off you might sue yourself for ten million dollars:D

Trevor Walsh
04-23-2011, 2:10 PM
Johnny, you make a good point, I should get on this end expedite my retirement slush fund.

To revisit Norman's question, it's along a similar vein as to why we spend money on wood to build furniture. After the wood and time (tools I'll assume are amortized over a lot of projects and therefor become a cheaper portion of the cost) homebuilt furniture is way more expensive than any Pottery Barn, Ikea, etc. In the end you get to say, "I made that" that's my kick. I've also got a product design background, which means I'll look at a thing and ask questions about how I use it and how to design a saw from the ground up to fit my specific use scenarios. I also don't have to make sacrifices (if I choose) that a company might just to bring a commodity object to market.

It's just a different fix for this, gotta build syndrome we've got.

Darin Kauffman
04-24-2011, 9:23 AM
Johnny, you make a good point, I should get on this end expedite my retirement slush fund.

To revisit Norman's question, it's along a similar vein as to why we spend money on wood to build furniture. After the wood and time (tools I'll assume are amortized over a lot of projects and therefor become a cheaper portion of the cost) homebuilt furniture is way more expensive than any Pottery Barn, Ikea, etc. In the end you get to say, "I made that" that's my kick. I've also got a product design background, which means I'll look at a thing and ask questions about how I use it and how to design a saw from the ground up to fit my specific use scenarios. I also don't have to make sacrifices (if I choose) that a company might just to bring a commodity object to market.

It's just a different fix for this, gotta build syndrome we've got.

Exactly! I've read many posts here on the Creek that always ask WHY? Why do you want that old 1925 band saw, when a new saw is $xxxx? Why do you want to build that piece of furniture, when xxxx store has one for $xxxx? Why are we here learning and building stuff in the first place? It is for the path and accumulated journey here on this planet, and I for one applaud the course you are going to attempt. This should be at least, an interesting experience for you, and the people you choose to share it with.

I like treading different paths than most guys. It's more interesting that way. So it takes more time. All you have to give up is tv. Just throw it out the door......:D

Joe Scharle
04-24-2011, 9:50 AM
Some of the old carpenters use to take their skil saws and turn them upside down then install them in a homemade table.I've never use one like that but I guess it will work.But why, when you can find a bench type, used for little money---Carroll

My grandfather had one of those. Built a few houses with cabinets with it.

Mike OMelia
04-24-2011, 11:48 AM
U r going to need a table saw to do this.

Mike

Trevor Walsh
04-24-2011, 11:39 PM
Darin, I agree, tv is such a drain on potential.

Mike, I'm not sure I get how you mean, and in any even you don't need a tablesaw to build one. So I'm a bit confused by that. Maybe I'm not getting it?

Chip Lindley
04-25-2011, 12:58 AM
....I like treading different paths than most guys. It's more interesting that way. So it takes more time. All you have to give up is tv. Just throw it out the door......:D

The OP, Trevor, needs cash for either a ho-made or store-bought table saw. Don't tempt him to trash his TV! At the least, he can get a few bucks for it on CL to put toward his "gotta build syndrome!"

Mike OMelia
04-25-2011, 2:42 AM
Darin, I agree, tv is such a drain on potential.

Mike, I'm not sure I get how you mean, and in any even you don't need a tablesaw to build one. So I'm a bit confused by that. Maybe I'm not getting it?

Sorry... just a little humor. Begat and begot and all of that.

Good luck and have fun!

Mike

Trevor Walsh
04-25-2011, 8:05 PM
I actually don't have a tv, and the cash flow is good enough to support the itch. Now computers are a whole different story, I can read blogs, type here, watch tv and put-off all sorts of plans in front of this thing. In some cases it's worse than a tv. I try to use it for good though.

The problem with CL is that most of the stuff I own is already in support of the gotta build, so it's like selling your right leg to buy a left because jogging is your thing, you know?

Kelly Colin Mark
04-26-2011, 10:59 AM
Trevor,

Supposedly in FWW #41 (July/Aug 1983), there is an article about "building an entire wooden tablesaw with a sliding table". The quote is a reply in a thread on another forum. I haven't checked the issue as I am at work.

Hope this helps -
terry

Trevor Walsh
04-26-2011, 11:47 AM
Kelly,
Fine #41 does indeed have a fixed arbor sliding tablesaw with mortise attachment. Thanks this will be a great starting point.

Matt Evans
04-30-2011, 9:59 PM
Trevor,

I will have to dig them up, but a few years back I drew up plans for a tablesaw. I came to the conclusion that whatever else I did, I wouldn't make the table tilt, as I hate tilting tables. Turns out there’s a pretty simple way to adjust the height on the blade as long as you are making a 90 degree only saw. Hinge the blade holding device instead. I came up with a different way, but explaining it might be more difficult than I am up for at the moment. I will send you a PM and try and find those plans.