PDA

View Full Version : One of Those Days

Bernie Weishapl
04-16-2011, 7:05 PM
Ever have one of those days when you feel like you should have just stayed out of the shop. Well today was one. First thing that happened was I turned my bandsaw on to cut a piece of wood. As I was reaching for the wood the blade broke. So stopped, cleaned it up, put on a new blade and set it up. All is good I thought. So I started turning a piece of elm I was going to use some dye on and as I was finishing the final shape on the outside it flew apart. About 1/3 of the side let go. I looked several times as I was shaping it and did not see the crack but it had to be there.:mad: So onward and upward I grabbed another piece of wood which happen to be walnut and thought hmmmm that would make a nice HF. I am not going to bore you with the story but I heard a snap and it had started to split while I was shaping the outside.:mad: I thought super glue but it had opened up about a 1/8" in the time it took me to get the super glue in the other room. I watched it as it cracked open to about 1/4". I just took it off, threw it in the burn pile, came in the house and got a cold one to sit down and watch golf. I figured I pushed my luck far enough for one day. Maybe tomorrow will be a better day.

David DeCristoforo
04-16-2011, 7:10 PM
Well at least the beer was cold and the TV worked. Just figure you are lucky to have lived through such a day with a couple of chunks of wood and a bandsaw blade as your only losses.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-16-2011, 7:14 PM
Sorry about the day Bernie.

John Keeton
04-16-2011, 7:16 PM
Bernie, you made the right decision, at the right time! Never, I repeat, never continue on after two strikes. You are destined to have the third. Has the snow melted? That could be your blessing in disguise that keeps the day from being a total loss.

Jim Leslie
04-16-2011, 7:17 PM
I've had days like that!

Gary Max
04-16-2011, 7:22 PM
Watching golf is about as safe as a person can be.

Greg Just
04-16-2011, 7:24 PM
snow yesterday and bad shop time today can only mean one thing. Tomorrow will be fabulous!

Brian Libby
04-16-2011, 7:31 PM
I'll take a bad day like that verses a good day driving a truck in or near Boston, mass. !!!!!!!!!!!

Roland Martin
04-16-2011, 7:32 PM
Makes you really appreciate the good days. Well, at least you didn't get hurt, there's always tomorrow.

John Hart
04-17-2011, 7:05 AM
You're smarter than me Bernie. I would have continued down the bottomless pit until I collapsed in deep depression...wondering, "why didn't I just stop earlier??"

Michael Armstrong
04-17-2011, 8:03 AM
You made the right decision Bernie. It's when you leave the shop and the rest of the things that you try and do work out the same way that is a real kicker. I had one of those days recently. Roughing out a nice walnut hollow form I noticed that there were two cracks, one on either side. I was disappointed but decided to see how I was doing with my hollowing so I cut the form in half on the bandsaw. No sign of the cracks whatsoever on the inside. Tossed it in the burn. Headed for my office because I needed to do the taxes. Discovered that because of the way I did some stuff when I retired that I had to file an adjustment for last year's taxes before I could complete this year's. The driveway needed shoveled so I headed out to do that and the handle of the shovel broke! At that point I gave up but was afraid to do anything just in case!!!!!!

Michael

Greg Just
04-17-2011, 9:57 AM
....... The driveway needed shoveled so I headed out to do that and the handle of the shovel broke! At that point I gave up but was afraid to do anything just in case!!!!!!

Michael

Michael - you created another turning opportunity to fix the handle of your snow shovel!

Baxter Smith
04-17-2011, 10:14 AM
Think of it as one that just makes you appreciate the good ones even more! Easier to say than do! Especially at the time.:)

Bernie Weishapl
04-17-2011, 10:27 AM
Thanks everyone. As John K. said it did make it easier to see the snow melting. Today should make most of it go away as it is suppose to be near 80.

John H. I have been there and have learned it doesn't do any good to keep going. I found on days like yesterday it just keeps going from worse to worse.

Today hopefully has to be a great day. Well we'll see.

Dan Forman
04-17-2011, 1:48 PM
Bernie - Sorry for your rough day yesterday, predict things will go better today.

"Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue."

Dan

James Combs
04-17-2011, 1:57 PM
Ever have one of those days ...

Bernie, maybe it was something in the air, mine went pretty much the same as yours.

nuff said except that I did get a chance to examine my platter profiling. Took it to the house and watched the tube while I pondered it.

bob svoboda
04-17-2011, 3:00 PM
You made the right call, Bernie. Better days a'coming.

Mike Peace
04-17-2011, 4:06 PM
Any day I come out of the shop with the same finger inventory I went in with, is a good day. Some days I get some experience and a nice turning. Other days I just get more experience. A bad day in the shop still beats a good day in the office!

HOpe you have a better day tomorrow.

BILL DONAHUE
04-17-2011, 7:33 PM
That's why God invented "cold ones."

Steve Campbell
04-17-2011, 7:37 PM
Some days it just pays to walk away. I used to do a lot of model cars and trucks. It seemed to take forever to get them done, But when I wasn't in the right frame of mind it just didn't pay to work on them. I would have 3 or 4 going all the time. That way if I got tired of one I could work on something else for a while.
Thats what I bought my first lathe for, turning small parts for my models. Well I don't seem to do much f**t work anymore since I got the bug.
Better days ahead for you Bernie.

Steve

Harry Robinette
04-17-2011, 7:59 PM
Sorry for the bad day but we all have them.But at least you didn't lesson to golf on the radio. NOW THATS BORING!!!!!!!

Tony De Masi
04-17-2011, 8:03 PM
At least it wasn't the cherry that blew up on you;) If you spend enough time in the shop you will have those days and of course I have. Glad no one was hurt and the beer was cold.

Terry Quiram
04-17-2011, 8:07 PM
Look on the bright side. At least it wasn't your day to handle the dynamite!!!!