PDA

View Full Version : Easter cup revisited

David DeCristoforo
04-16-2011, 6:12 PM
I posted this a week or so ago and there was some comment about the inconsistent color of the purpleheart stem. It's oxidized a bit by now and the color is getting closer to what I had hoped for. I think it will darken a bit more yet.

Steve Schlumpf
04-16-2011, 7:01 PM
David - it worked for me the first time! I can see how this is going to get really close in color but it is the form that is standout in this piece! I still like it and can still see the potential of piercing in a similar piece sometime down the road.

Just out of curiosity - did this piece go to your gallery? It should have.... and if it did I would expect it would be gone by now!

Looking forward to seeing what you turn next!

David E Keller
04-16-2011, 7:01 PM
Thanks for the update... I'd like to see it yet again when you think it's 'finished' purpling up.

John Keeton
04-16-2011, 7:13 PM
I kind of like both colors. The "fresh" purpleheart kind of picked up on the upper portion of the cup, and the "aged" version is approaching more the color of the cup. Either one works quite well!

Gary Conklin
04-16-2011, 7:17 PM
You are aware that the Purpleheart will continue to oxidize to a brown/cranberry type color, right?

David DeCristoforo
04-16-2011, 7:23 PM
"You are aware that the Purpleheart will continue to oxidize to a brown/cranberry type color, right?"

Sounds like a question from a lawyer. You're not a lawyer are you? Cause if you are, I ain't sayin' nuttin...;)

Actually my experience with purpleheart would suggest that not even the good lord could say for sure what color any given piece will end up being. When I made chess boards, purpleheart and Ceylon satinwood was my favorite combination. I made many from those woods and still have one that is at least ten years old and the color of the purpleheart is still pretty purple.

Brian Libby
04-16-2011, 7:26 PM
Everything about the "Easter Cup" is great ! The form, proportions and color just shout Wow!

Gary Conklin
04-16-2011, 7:38 PM
No, no not me saving the Lawyering for Mr. Keeton. :p
David either way it is an amazing piece, I have a fondness for purple, one of my favorite colors!

Roland Martin
04-16-2011, 7:38 PM
I guess I missed the first post on this:mad: WOW, what a unique turning, your skills never cease to amaze me David. Very well done, and thanks for posting.

Baxter Smith
04-16-2011, 8:09 PM
Interesting change. Thanks David. I will agree that it is "improving with age". I for another would also like to see it once it is "done", if ever.

John Hart
04-17-2011, 7:11 AM
I think it's excellent both ways. Woulda never thunk there's a difference without the before-and-after. But the extra purple is noticeable. Will it be done by Easter?

Cathy Schaewe
04-17-2011, 9:07 AM
I wouldn't have thought it would change that fast, but I have no experience with purpleheart. It looks really good.

Bernie Weishapl
04-17-2011, 10:51 AM
I like the color now. Really has a nice glow about it. I have had purpleheart that has turned the brownish/purple color and have some that has stayed purple. Anybody guess.

Cathy Schaewe
04-17-2011, 8:53 PM
Sounds like a question from a lawyer. You're not a lawyer are you? Cause if you are, I ain't sayin' nuttin...;)

Hey, lawyers are fun, sweet and good-natured! Just ask me or John ....:rolleyes:

Russell Eaton
04-17-2011, 8:58 PM
I like the slight change in color. Please post again after a few weeks I think it will be even more impressive. Another beautiful turning.

ray hampton
04-17-2011, 9:20 PM
Hey, lawyers are fun, sweet and good-natured! Just ask me or John ....:rolleyes:

first a lawyer , then a judge and [O BOY ]a president of this nation