PDA

View Full Version : NE Bowl #2

David DeCristoforo
04-16-2011, 6:08 PM
Last year, right after I got sucked into the vortex, there was a severe wind storm during the night. It caused the downfall of a "smallish" pistachio tree right across the street from our house. By the time I got out there the next morning, a crew had already cut it up. They were going to sell it for firewood but I managed to talk them out of a few hunks which I halved and stored outside under some sawdust and dirt thinking that the rather plain looking wood might spalt. When I moved in February, I dug them up and took them over to the new house. There was nary a sign of spalting and the wood was probably wetter than when it first came down. (Yes, this is the wood I was referring to in my "miracle wood drying thread". But this piece got on the lathe before the chicken schmaltz fiasco.)

I did notice that there was this really interesting light colored band between the heart and sap wood and, for some reason I was in the mood to try another NE bowl. There's also an interesting little "postage stamp" anomaly on either side.

This one represents a couple of "milestones" for me. Not the first NE attempt (it's actually the second one I have done) but It's the first piece I have made with wood that I got "straight from the tree". Also, it's the fortieth piece I have made on the lathe and it's very close to the first anniversary of the launching of my "turning career" and my first turning post here which was on May 18th of last year.

As with my first NE bowl, this was turned sopping wet in three sessions over a four day period, being covered in plastic wrap in between. "Finish" is simply a slathering of Watco. It's going to have to dry some before I try to polish it up. It's still got so much water in it that it looks blotchy and its still pretty heavy even at 1/4" thickness.

Dale Bright
04-16-2011, 6:14 PM
Really nice, David, I like this one a lot.

Dale

Roger Chandler
04-16-2011, 6:35 PM
That has some nice character in the wood...........and David, for your second natural edge....that is real good, however, a turner with your skill level, I would not have expected anything less. I think your form is very nice on this piece. Good work!

Bernie Weishapl
04-16-2011, 6:49 PM
Really nice NE David. The wood has some really nice character to it. Well done.

John Keeton
04-16-2011, 7:29 PM
Nice work, David, and it will be even better finished up. I have always been curious as to how your tent shop does in the wind storms, and this made me think of it again.

David DeCristoforo
04-16-2011, 7:33 PM
"I have...been curious as to how your tent shop does in the wind storms..."

It hangs in there pretty good. The frame is bolted to a concrete slab now whereas before it was on dirt and anchored to two foot deep augers. Don't think it would do too good if a tree fell on it though!

Michelle Rich
04-17-2011, 4:15 AM
I like your stories as much as I like your vessels..

Fred Belknap
04-17-2011, 8:29 AM
I like NE and this is a good one. I'm thinking that at least two chickens were sacrificed to get that bark to stay on.:D

Ken Hill
04-17-2011, 9:50 AM
Very nice! I can tell that it underwent a Chicken Bouillon soak though:cool::D

Baxter Smith
04-17-2011, 10:17 AM
Good looking piece. I am looking forward to seeing it finished.

David DeCristoforo
04-17-2011, 10:53 AM
"...at least two chickens were sacrificed to get that bark to stay on..."

I made a bet with myself. One million dollars says that one little piece that's just kinda hanging out there would end up on the floor. I lost the bet. Now I'm trying to figure out how to come up with the dough to pay myself off...

Mark Hubl
04-17-2011, 12:34 PM
Nice NE. The wood is quite nice. I like the form and the foot treatment. It is a bit bulbous, when I look at it for some reason Noah's Ark pops into my head.

bob svoboda
04-17-2011, 12:44 PM
Nice piece and good job keeping the bark Very attractive.

Curt Fuller
04-17-2011, 1:06 PM
Looks finger lickin' good to me!