PDA

View Full Version : Is DNA turnings safe for food...

Russell Eaton
04-16-2011, 5:59 PM
I just wanted to know if any of the masses use the DNA trick on salad bowls or anything of that sort. I know you can't drink it and wondered if the chemicals evaporate or do they stay in the wood. Just a question. I am soaking my first bowls at this time. Thanks for any help. Russell

Dennis Simmons
04-16-2011, 6:20 PM
You might check with the state of California, every thing there is known to cause something. :)

Bernie Weishapl
04-16-2011, 6:53 PM
I have a set of salad bowls, numerous other bowls, plates, peppermills etc that we use almost daily for almost 5 yrs and haven't noticed any problems. I have made and sold many of these that were DNA soaked with no complaints.

J.D.Redwine
04-16-2011, 8:03 PM
Everyone who eats from a DNA treated bowl will die.

Dan Hintz
04-17-2011, 1:12 PM
DNA will completely evaporate within a few days of being left in the open. Even if it didn't, any transferred to the surface of a food item would evaporate from the time it went for the bowl to your mouth. It's pretty volatile stuff...

Scott Hackler
04-17-2011, 2:57 PM
Russell the quick and easy answer is "nothing to worry about". After the bowl is dry, post Dna soaking, there isn't any Dna left in the wood. If fact the smell of alcohol through the holes I cut in the newspaper is how I tell if its fully dry. No smell, ready to go. Smells of alcohol, leave it wrapped up... not dry yet.