PDA

View Full Version : What do you pack your finished pieces in? / Help finding source for boxes !

David Fairfield
04-16-2011, 11:50 AM
Hi

Just looking at Jit's and Dee's elegant finished pieces, it occurred to me, they must be delivered in a box to match. I really need to think more about better product packaging and presentation.

So... what do you package your stuff in when you've made something nice, and where do you get it? I'm looking for advice on commercial cardboard type boxes, not hand made wooden cases and that sort of thing. As nice as those are, I need something economically feasable.

Thanks!:)
Dave

Dennis Heskett
04-16-2011, 12:37 PM
I use Uline

Martin Boekers
04-16-2011, 2:24 PM
Uline seems to be the standand for shipping boxes. You may check the Yellow Pages (not sure if they exist anymore?)
to see if you have a container manufacturer or a store display warehouse. I do have both of those in the St. Louis area

So do a search you may find something around your corner.

If not Uline is decent and quick.

David Fairfield
04-16-2011, 2:54 PM
Thanks so far! Uline is great for shipping boxes. But I'm looking more for "store shelf" type packaging, which I will put product labels on. The candy boxes at Uline look sort of like what I want, but they are really plain and the variety is limited.

Martin Boekers
04-16-2011, 3:15 PM
Thanks so far! Uline is great for shipping boxes. But I'm looking more for "store shelf" type packaging, which I will put product labels on. The candy boxes at Uline look sort of like what I want, but they are really plain and the variety is limited.

The problem you may face is finding a size that will fit what you want. Then not having to buy 1000 of them.

Here is the link to Store Supply Warehouse, they may not have the boxes you want, but they are worth a bookmark
when you need "Store Somethings"

www.storesupply.com/default.aspx (http://www.storesupply.com/default.aspx)

There used to be a local shop called Containers & More (or something like that) That had alot of variety, but were a
bit expensive.

One thing to consider is a standard (Uline type box) then dress up the top with a nice design on packing label sheets
for laser printers. You can custom design them to print and make them up as needed.

If you do find something really cool, by all means pass it on! As I'm sure many have the same issues.

John Noell
04-16-2011, 3:30 PM
We use the small Uline boxes in white paperboard with clear plastic lids for our jewelry. They have quite a wide range; check out their "retail boxes."

greg lindsey
04-16-2011, 4:41 PM
I use Anchor Box. I'm not sure if they are a nationwide company, but I know they will ship. Nice thing is you can buy any amount and they are quite reasonable. I like the fact that I can take the item to the store front and they will go find the best fit box and they consider the amout of packing you will need and will offer the supplies for that. Great company. www.anchorbox.com (http://www.anchorbox.com)

sorry I just looked at the web site and they do have a 35.00 min for shipping.

Randy Digby
04-16-2011, 5:22 PM
ULINE here also, and sometimes I use their flat corrugated and cut/score with the laser to form fit the corrugated around fragile parts.

Dee Gallo
04-16-2011, 5:43 PM
I use mostly Uline, they have quite a few nice small gift boxes. I have some of the plastic covered ones John mentioned, they are really nice and I put a decal on the cover for a finishing touch. There are a lot of companies selling nice jewelry sized boxes, but they are very expensive in my opinion. I have in the past found bracelet boxes on eBay which were cheap and small quantities for specific sizes and shapes I needed. You really have to look around. For bigger stuff, like my full sets, I do have custom made wooden cases made.

~ dee

Neil Pabia
04-17-2011, 12:25 PM
I use uline as well but sometimes I buy from Novel Box company, they have some nice boxes as well.

Jiten Patel
04-18-2011, 4:21 AM
David,

We send out products out in magnetic black gifts boxes laser cut/marked with our logo. Wrapped in pink tissue paper to match our branding.

It took us a while to find something suitable and the right size. As Martin mentioned, getting boxes the perfect size usually means getting a bespoke die made and a minimum order of silly quantities. We were lucky to find ones that were close to what we needed and they come in 3 different sizes as well as 4-5 different colours. But as they are based here in the UK, I'm guessing they will be no good to you?

Feedback from our customers has been great, as usually products are shipped out in ugly brown boxes. Our view is if someone spends a small fortune on our products, then the least we can do is give them packaging to match and they can keep it after to put their wedding trinkets in.

http://twitpic.com/4gi3cq

Duane Parcells
04-19-2011, 9:48 AM
This book has come up before....I've used it, I think Dan has used it. If you have a laser you have what you need to make your own boxes. Just need a long blade like object for scoring.

Structural Package Designs by The Pepin Press
ISBN 90-5768-044-0
Hundreds of boxes and designs with CD-Rom of all the cutting patterns ready for CorelDraw or..... I found it at Barnes and Noble. All the files are scalable so you can make them any size.

Dan Hintz
04-19-2011, 9:53 AM
Duane beat me to the punch. There are a series of books with different packaging styles, and they're all useful in one manner or another. Don't forget, consider engraving and/or vector cutting pieces of the box to match the contents. You can do so without compromising the structural rigidity of the box if you're careful what you do.

Robert L Stewart
04-21-2011, 12:42 AM
David,

Try clearbags.com. They are not for shipping but they have a good selection of bags and boxes for presentation.

Robert