PDA

View Full Version : Delta DJ-20 jointer cutter head guard

Glenn McNair
04-16-2011, 9:52 AM
Hi all: Can anybody out there tell me how to adjust the spring closure of the cutter head guard on my Delta DJ-20 8" jointer? It should be so simple and think I have done it before but can't figure out the problem now. Seems like something to do with the spring adjustment. Any ideas would be really appreciated. Thank you, Glenn

glenn bradley
04-16-2011, 9:59 AM
I'm not sure how close that particular feature matches the Grizzly G0490 clone of that design but, my adjustment parts are discussed on page 21 of the manual, here (http://cdn0.grizzly.com/manuals/g0490_m.pdf). A very simple procedure in this version (I hope yours is similar). You use a 6mm hex key inserted into the top of the post to loosen the assembly slightly. Twist the "mushroom" cap clockwise a bit and re-tighten the hex to lock the setting. Flip the pork chop open a couple times and watch it return. Adjust more if required.

Russell Sansom
04-16-2011, 11:23 AM
Twist the cap clockwise and re-tighten the hex to add tension.
As I recall, this is "the secret." But. There are a couple more things I'd mention
1) Disassemble. See if there's a spot that is causing some friction. You can see the wear spot if so. Learn exactly how it goes together because you will probably have to do it many times. You shouldn't have to take out the "base" bushing, only the mobile top part.
2) Use soft jaws of some kind to avoid mauling the pretty head of the assembly...the part with the hex recess. This is harder than it sounds.
3) It's a bit subtle and finicky. I think I took mine apart a dozen times. It still doesn't slam closed or even return completely.
4) I found a hand full of references on the web, but none was definitive.

Glenn McNair
04-16-2011, 3:50 PM
Hi Glenn and Russell: Thanks so much for the photo and the site for the manual as I didn't have a manual for my machine. As far as I can see the GO490 is identical to my DJ-20. I didn't want to apply too much pressure to the top cap for fear of breaking something but with your help everything worked out just fine and I can get just the right amount of spring to the guard. Cheers and have a great rest of the weekend. --Glenn McNair

Larry Edgerton
04-16-2011, 5:03 PM
The adjustment is made differently on my DJ20. On mine there is a flat spot on the shaft that the lock hex bolt tightens into. You have your allen in the top and the allen in the lock that is on the rabbit table casting, and you can feel by working both when the shaft is on the flat. Get it to center and snug up the lock. There is no need to turn the cap on the top. I take mine off frequently to rabbit and it is simple if you use this method. It always ends up in the same setting.

Yours may be different, mine is 20 years old.

Larry

glenn bradley
04-17-2011, 11:29 AM
There is no need to turn the cap on the top. I take mine off frequently to rabbit and it is simple if you use this method. It always ends up in the same setting.

My G0490 (and probably the other Glenn's DJ-20) also have the flat spot on the shaft. I think the other Glenn's problem was that his adjustment was already too loose. Once corrected, the guard can be removed and replaced easily, just as you describe without fouling the adjustment. I just mention this so that the other Glenn isn't worried about removing the guard if he desires. The well proven DJ-20 design is one that I am glad that, although cloned, has changed little over the years :)