PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heading to Chicago WW show?

RichMagnone
01-31-2005, 11:20 PM
I'm going to play hookie a bit on Friday and sneak over to the Steven's Convention Center. Likely my only day to get out there as SWMBO has decreed a weekend of visiting children's museums with those two wild animals I lovingly refer to as my "kids".

One question - I am keen on seeing some Lee Valley stuff at the show. Does anyone know what / if there are typically "bargains" on site and do they have product right there or is it basically just a booth for taking orders?

Alfred Hoffmann
02-01-2005, 8:27 AM
When is the show, Rich? Where is the Steven's Convention Center located and what are the show times?

Al Hoffmann

Mike Circo
02-01-2005, 9:41 AM
This should help...

http://www.thewoodworkingshows.com/index.php?pageName=Show&eventName=Chicago%20-%20Spring

Summary:
2/4 - 2/6
Rosemont (near O'Hare)
Expensive show, even more expensive parking (even with $5 coupon you will pay over $10 to park.

Chuck Fischer
02-01-2005, 9:50 AM
5555 N River Rd Rosemont, IL

Also, here is a pdf with directions.
http://www.rosemont.com/driving_directions.pdf

According to the PDF file, parking is only 11 bucks, so with a 5 dollar coupon, I think its pretty much the same price as the Odeum. It could be wrong though.

Chuck

Jerry Olexa
02-01-2005, 12:10 PM
Got a notice in the mail. Is this show worth attending? Its a 1hr drive for me. What do you guys think??? Thanks:confused:

Mike Evertsen
02-01-2005, 12:15 PM
according to the guys that run these shows they moved the date to Feb. is because they could get more dealers so it should be bigger than the april show at the odieum was.

Aaron Montgomery
02-01-2005, 12:57 PM
I'm headed in on Saturday with a friend. The show is worth attending if you want to see what's new, put your hands on some equipment, see some demos or talk with some reps. It's probably not worth you time if you expect better pricing than mail order. I haven't been for a few years so I'm kind of looking forward to it.

RichMagnone
02-01-2005, 3:29 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the parking coupon. That will definitely make driving easier. My office is just up the road and I had planned to park at work and take the "Blue Line" el train to the Rosemont station which is right at the convention center, but I'll likely drive it now.

Russ Massery
02-01-2005, 10:42 PM
Does anyone know if this move is permanent? or will the how go back to the odeium for the fall show? I plan on going to the friday show.

Russ

Mark Stutz
02-01-2005, 10:58 PM
Rich,
I got my coupon book in the mail today for the St. Louis show in 2 weeks. From what I can tell, LV won't be in St. Louis. Obviuosly don't know about Chicago, but it's put on by the same folks.

Joe Mioux
02-02-2005, 3:19 AM
Got a notice in the mail. Is this show worth attending? Its a 1hr drive for me. What do you guys think??? Thanks:confused:Hi Jerry:
The show is worth attending. Lots of demonstrations and even if you don't need any new tool or gadget, the show is a lot of fun and educational. I too am about an hour away from the (STL) show, and it is definitely worth the drive.

Joe

Erin Stringer
02-02-2005, 7:02 PM
At the show in Columbus, OH Lee Valley was offering catalog prices with free shipping and no sales tax. They had display models of a lot of stuff but no stock on hand so they were shipping everything.