PDA

View Full Version : First attempt at pyro

Bob Rotche
04-16-2011, 7:57 AM
I have been very impressed by the way pyrography can enhance a turning ever since I ran across the work of Molly Winton and have thought that I would like to pursue that direction. I don't have the artistic ability to approach realistic artwork epitomized by Jeff Myroup's dog plates and will focus more on patterns, geometrics, stylized figures, and texturing. I was so impressed by the couple of bowls that Bill Donahue posted which I saw as outstanding but attainable that I contacted him and he graciously gave me quite a bit of advice on how to get started.

I bought the Burnmaster Eagle he recommended and have been very pleased with it so far. This was just a quick piece to get the feel of the unit. It is mulberry, about 6 x 2 1/2 with some kitchen counter doodles burned in. I'm happy enough for a first attempt and am very excited about all of the possibilities of this art form.

C+C appreciated as always

John Keeton
04-16-2011, 8:11 AM
Bob, the one thing about embellishments that I think is sometimes missing is a good underlying form. You chose a nice subject for your virgin run with the Burnmaster!! Nice bowl.

I kind of like the randomness of the "kitchen doodles" and looks like a great job to me.

Donny Lawson
04-16-2011, 8:32 AM
Bob, I too am new to this pyro world with my turnings. I just recieved the Burnmaster Eagle the other day and haven't had the chance to use it yet. Your first piece has inspired me to see what I can come up with. With yours is there dimples in the wood or is that from the burning? I would like to try something with mine this weekend. There is a few more things I need to get for mine. I need something to clean the tips with and a few other items. Nothing big though.

Greg Just
04-16-2011, 9:02 AM
Bob:

Very nice. I have just started getting into burning and it really opens a lot of design opportunities. I have also combined the burning with dying.

Donny - when I took a class last summer, the instructor used a soft brass brush, like a tooth brush to clean her tips.

Steve Schlumpf
04-16-2011, 9:28 AM
Bob - that looks pretty good! I haven't tried burning yet but like your design! Having the design change as it progresses around the bowl makes you want to keep turning the bowl to take it all in! Cool stuff! Looking forward to seeing where this takes you!

Bernie Weishapl
04-16-2011, 10:43 AM
Bob that is really nice looking. I like the design. I just got into burning also and it is a lot of fun. The design opportunities are unlimited.

David Reed
04-16-2011, 10:58 AM
Bob, nice work, especially for your first dabbling with the burner. I, like you struggle with design often and I like the geometry of this one. The pyro adds so much to an otherwise simple, but well executed form.

Michelle Rich
04-16-2011, 11:10 AM
awfully well done first! I look forward to your next pieces

David E Keller
04-16-2011, 11:14 AM
Nicely done. I've done very little with my pyro unit, and I struggle with getting clean demarcation between burned and non-burned areas. I like the underlying form and the geometric pattern you've done.

Michael Short
04-17-2011, 8:58 AM
Well done. I like the pyro additions to the turned pieces. Really adds beauty and character to them. Thanks for sharing.

Baxter Smith
04-17-2011, 10:34 AM
Nice job on the bowl and doodles!