PDA

View Full Version : Shucks! - Missed Another #94

Bob Smalser
01-31-2005, 10:56 PM
As I do big work on boats occasionally that's suitable for a large shoulder plane, I been looking for a Stanley #94 for years.

Had a crack at one as part of a large patternmaker's tool chest that went for 500 bucks a few months ago I shoulda grabbed and sold off the other tools.

Because this one today went for close to $300 bucks...too steep for me but I'll go up to $180, even for a broken one:

http://www.supertool.com/ebay/u75a.jpg

If ya see one laying around somewhere...please give me a holler.

Luv those Stanley shoulder planes and have no interest in even the best Preston copy.

Steve Cox
02-01-2005, 2:01 AM
If you're willing to go that high to get one of the Stanleys why not go for a Veritas? I love the old tools but they are not the "end all be all" when it comes to tool design. Once collectors get hold of something and push prices to unreasonable levels it seems smarter to me to just buy new. I'm interested in hearing why you won't go new.

Roy Wall
02-01-2005, 10:10 AM
If you're willing to go that high to get one of the Stanleys why not go for a Veritas? I love the old tools but they are not the "end all be all" when it comes to tool design. Once collectors get hold of something and push prices to unreasonable levels it seems smarter to me to just buy new. I'm interested in hearing why you won't go new.
I agree with your logic Steve. The LV lg shoulder plane is $169. It is machined better, has more precision controls, better material-----yada, yada, yada.
I really did want to buy some old bedrocks, but the silly prices were WAY TOO HIGH --so I did as you were saying; bought NEW! LV & LN are a bargain in this respect - and you have a superior product.

(nothing wrong with those $10-25 Bailey's either - new Hock blade & you've got $50 invested for a good worker:) )

Bob Smalser
02-01-2005, 11:06 AM
A neighbor brought over a Veritas medium shoulder plane the other day and it's a nicely made tool that is very accurate. A fine bench plane for furniture.

But my needs are probably different from yours....much of what I plane is already fixed in place so there's no moving the workpiece around as it's 19' long and weighs half a ton. A compact plane with smooth, easy-to-handle edges that can be pushed or pulled equally well and used on its side pushing and pulling equally well in tight spaces is what I need...

...and nothing out there does all that as well as the Stanley 90-series.

All those angular bells and whistles on the Veritas would simply get in my way and hang up on adjacent framing members, just like those awkward handles on the Preston copies or the long iron and wedge sticking out of my woodies.

Steve Cox
02-01-2005, 11:11 AM
And that makes perfect sense Bob. Thanks for the reply. I was just curious. I have a 93 that I used to to use frequently but it's mostly sat on the shelf since I was given the medium Veritas.

Bob Smalser
02-01-2005, 2:32 PM
Here's what I'm talking about:

http://pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL12/1104763/2594266/83656771.jpg

The two skew rabbets are larger and more awkward with those irons hanging out. They cut fine but don't work on crossgrain near as well as the #93 below. The #94 will do the work of the skew rabbet in the center but in places where a framing chisel is required now.

Andrew Alexander
02-01-2005, 11:14 PM
Bob,

First thanks for the many informative threads that you contribute...simply fascinating. What is the biggest difference between the 94 and a 93? Length? What in your opinion would be the advantage of a vintage 94 vs. say a new 93 that has been properly tuned..besides the obvious build quality in the vintage tool...at a $100 vs. $300 price point difference curoius minds want to know. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge and wealth of experience...a

Bob Smalser
02-01-2005, 11:58 PM
The 94 is the largest low-angle shoulder plane I know of....about the size and width of the beech skew rabbet in the center of my pic, but much shorter in height and not quite as long. 1 1/4 inch wide, 7 1/2 long.

The 93 is the 1-inch shoulder plane and the 92 is the 3/4-inch shoulder plane. I don't think there's much difference in these between the new ones and the old ones like there is with Bailey-pattern planes. These require a pretty good level of precision in machining simply to assemble them.

As the tops come off for use as a chisel plane and the simple mouth adjustment on these, I think they are the most versatile design in terms of bang for the buck. Their downside with the long ones is they are fragile..there's a lot of sole hanging out in front supported by very little. Drop one off the scaffolding onto something hard and they can crack. But then again, so can any plane....and as the modern prestige planes are and will be used almost exclusively by careful hobbyists and most of these old Stanleys were used commercially, we'll never really have a good reliability comparison.

Nobody I ever knew who worked at a commercial pace adjusted planes except after sharpening....when two settings are required, two planes or another tool was used. Currently, I use a chisel where I can't fit the skew rabbet because my 93 is set fine and is a bit small. I simply want a 94 to save time, as a plane is always faster and neater than a chisel.

JayStPeter
02-02-2005, 12:13 AM
A neighbor brought over a Veritas medium shoulder plane the other day and it's a nicely made tool that is very accurate. A fine bench plane for furniture.

But my needs are probably different from yours....much of what I plane is already fixed in place so there's no moving the workpiece around as it's 19' long and weighs half a ton. A compact plane with smooth, easy-to-handle edges that can be pushed or pulled equally well and used on its side pushing and pulling equally well in tight spaces is what I need...

...and nothing out there does all that as well as the Stanley 90-series.

All those angular bells and whistles on the Veritas would simply get in my way and hang up on adjacent framing members, just like those awkward handles on the Preston copies or the long iron and wedge sticking out of my woodies.

Bob,

Don't know if you're aware, but LV also has a Large Shoulder Plane. It's the same width as the 94, but about an inch longer. I suspect the front knob is removable, but the back knob may still be in the way. Might be worth taking an angle grinder to the rear knob mount given you can get it for less than your price. It does appear to be a little taller even without the knobs though.
I just guessing here that push/pull is mostly about a decent place to grip. So, I guess you would be taking a chance on the LV. Especially if you permanently remove the knobs.
I'll definitely let you know if I see something on my regular tool bargain searches :).

Jay

Tony Zaffuto
02-02-2005, 7:46 AM
My experience with the Stanley shoulder planes is limited to a relatively new #90 I received as a present several years ago. It is a new "Made in England" model, and I recall seeing it described more as a "plane kit". I don't know if I would go that far, however it did need a fair bit of work.

As I employ several tool makers (OK one true tool maker and one really good machinist), I had the nose piece "trued" to be be co-planar to to main body. The sides were already square and needed nothing done at all. The main issue was the blade bed. It was slightly "askew" to the sole and it took a bit of time to machine it parallel to the sole. The blade as supplied by Stanley was of good quality and fairly thick--holds an edge very well, although I mainly use the plane in cherry and oak.

All in all, to "finish" the plane took several hours of time, however with the exception of truing the blade bed, all work could be done in a home shop.

Result is a damn good little plane that I would not trade away for anything. It does not get put away, and always resides fairly close to the bench. Incidentally, I use the 90 more than the LV medium shoulder plane I also received as a gift (about a year ago).

Tony Z.

Tom Saurer
02-02-2005, 9:32 AM
Bob...it looks like this place might have a Stanley #94 for sale.

http://www.oldtoolsfeelbetter.com/backcat.htm

I've never dealt with them and so I have no idea what their reputation is, but I thought I would post it anyways.

Chris Thompson
02-02-2005, 9:46 AM
Yowza, 150 UK Pounds is $283 US Dollars!