PDA

View Full Version : Drill Chucks for Wood Lathes?

Bob Janka
04-15-2003, 3:05 PM
Folks,

I'm having a lot of fun turning pens. In the process, I tend to use the Craft Center's 3-jaw "jacobs" drill chuck quite a bit. I'm thinking about getting my own as I begin to buy lathe accessories for myself.

Does anyone know of any particularly good models and/or sources for these? I'm looking for 1/2" capacity with a #2 Morse Taper. Ideally, it will also have accept a threaded rod as a drawbolt.

I know that Delta offers one, but it's up around $130-150. I've seen several others for $35-$45. Is there much difference between these? I realize that spending extra money now for good quality is a wise investment over the long run.

Thanks in advance for any words of advice and/or wisdom!

Cheers,
Bob

Scott Greaves
04-15-2003, 3:28 PM
Hi Bob,

I'm glad you're having fun! It should be fun!

So, are you using the drill chuck to hold your mandrel, or what? The reason I ask is because sometimes drill chucks are not made as exactly as we would like for penturning. And it's not a matter of price - the $130 one could be off just as much as the $20 one. If you're using it to hold your mandrel, you would be better off with a collet chuck or a drill driver (which is what I use). But that's not what you asked, is it! ;)

The nicer one from Grizzly is supposed to be a good one, but I have friends who get along with the one from Harbor Freight just fine. If you have a Harbor Freight around, I would suggest you get one from them. Fit it in your headstock of the lathe, grip your mandrel (or a piece of drill rod) in it, and turn the lathe on. (If it's the mandrel, be sure to bring up the tailstock to support it for safety sake!) Then use a dial indicator to measure run-out close to the chuck. If the chuck doesn't meet your specifications, take it back and exchange it for another, and test it. You should be able to find one with minimal run-out without too much trouble.

Good Luck!

Scott.

Stan Thigpen
04-15-2003, 3:49 PM
Bob, I recently bought a 1/2" jacobs chuck with #2 morse taper at Sears for right about $20. I use it occasionally with my Delta Midi lathe and it works fine. I use it to bore holes in the center of turnings as well as to hold a blind pen-turning mandrel for desk style pens.

Bob Janka
04-15-2003, 3:50 PM
Scott,

I am currently using the drill chuck to do two operations: first, I mount it in the tailstock and use it to bore holes in the wood blanks for the brass tubes. Second, I mount it in the headstock and use it to hold Berea Hardwoods' "B" mandrel for their larger projects.

Sounds like I need to invest in a good drill driver, perhaps the Woodcraft Pro. Does anyone know if it will accept the "B" mandrel (~0.33")?

Cheers,
Bob

Scott Greaves
04-15-2003, 10:45 PM
Hi Bob,

I don't know if the Woodcraft Pro holder (which is a great holder by the way!) accepts the Berea "B" mandrel. Probably not. I do know that Berea sells a nice drill driver type of mandrel holder made especially for the "B" mandrel.

As far as the Jacobs chuck, I think one of the cheaper ones would do you fine. Sears, Harbor Freight, Grizzly, whatever.

Good Luck!

Scott.

Stan Thigpen
04-16-2003, 7:24 AM
Shortly after I posted my response about purchasing my chuck at Sears for $20, I saw that Harbor Freight had the same item listed at their web site for $9.95.