PDA

View Full Version : new experience...green wood....really cool!

Rick Cicciarelli
04-15-2011, 11:27 PM
I have been practicing my turning skills on scrap 2X4s so far. My folks had an old sugar maple that had to be cut down. I got a few straight grained logs...split them out and had my first experience turning a piece of firewood into a turned piece of wood. Wow...that was exhilarating!! Just the idea that it was a tree a few days ago...and now I have this piece of turned wood. I guess there has always been this separation in my mind between trees and finished furniture because I have always just gone and picked up a piece of lumber that was ready to go. Taking a tree, riving out a chunk, and turning it into what could be used for a chair leg is REALLY cool! :D Not to mention the fact that it feels MUCH nicer to turn than a dried piece of 2x4 with knots. I was making maple "spaghetti noodles" for the first time....super cool!!!

Ken Hill
04-16-2011, 3:44 AM
Yep, you will never look at a tree the same way again!

Dan Forman
04-16-2011, 4:19 AM
Me thinks the lad is hooked.

Dan

John Hart
04-16-2011, 6:57 AM
Me thinks the lad is hooked.

Dan

Yeah...that feeling is one of the biggies. The neighbors better start putting electric fencing around their trees. :)

Bernie Weishapl
04-16-2011, 10:46 AM
Oh, oh that is one of the neat feelings you get when making those long green curlies. Tree's will never look or be the same.

bob svoboda
04-16-2011, 11:19 AM
That's a great feeling that will never dim.

Steve Vaughan
04-16-2011, 12:17 PM
Yup, that is one nice feeling right there!

Steve Schlumpf
04-16-2011, 5:38 PM
Yup! No doubt about it - turning green is a blast!