PDA

View Full Version : Teak Speargun

John Kali
04-15-2011, 11:02 PM
Here is a little something im sure Sawmillcreek hasnt seen much of. It still needs one more coat of finish, but I am very impatient and snapped a few pics. Its nothing fancy, and my craftmanship isnt even close to what I am used to seeing here on the board, but I figured I would post up what I make in my small shop.

I want to progress from this to one day making furniture, but that will come in time as I still have a lot to learn. Thanks for looking, John K

Gregg Ramer
04-15-2011, 11:34 PM
You're being modest. I think your craftsmanship is excellent.

Brian Kent
04-15-2011, 11:43 PM
John, that really looks fun. Happy fishing and congratulations on a beautiful piece of woodworking.

Dan Hahr
04-18-2011, 9:15 PM
How do you install the bands? Am I missing the slot? Dan

Dave Gaul
04-19-2011, 9:13 AM
I'd say your craftsmanship is just fine! Let's see your first catch with it!

John Kali
04-19-2011, 6:44 PM
Thanks for the kind words everyone!!

How do you install the bands? Am I missing the slot? Dan

There is no slot. Most guys that spearfish a lot, tie their own bands to get them just the right length, and also because it is significantly cheaper. This way you just tie one end, pull it through and then tie the other end. Also it keeps the muzzle a lot stronger, which is a good thing since there can be upwords of 400lbs pulling against it.

Dan Hahr
04-26-2011, 12:13 AM
OK.. that makes sense. Never even thought about making your own bands. I used to spearfish alot, but I always used a band with a metal ..whatever. Just have a simple AB Biller 48. I have a trigger mechanism a friend gave me, but I haven't gotten around to building a gun yet. Too many other hobbies getting in the way.

Anyway, I'm inspired.

BTW, I have a blank of Delrin ( I think) for the barrel. Is it worth using or is their advantages to sticking with just the wood?

Thanks, Dan

Bruce Page
04-26-2011, 12:19 AM
You're being modest. I think your craftsmanship is excellent.
As do I.
And you're right John, we don't see many spear guns!