PDA

View Full Version : This Is Going to be EXCITING

Dale Bright
04-15-2011, 10:39 PM
A hickory burl that a friend gave me a few days ago. It is on a 6" facplate with 8 screws. I am going to give a go tomorrow morning. I will try to remember to take progress pics.

Dale

Roger Chandler
04-15-2011, 10:42 PM
That will be an adventure for sure Dale! I would think that will have some spectacular figure in it, being hickory...............that will surely make something nice........I would make a platter or a hollow form, but I look forward to what treasure you bring out of this piece of burl.

Steve Schlumpf
04-15-2011, 11:51 PM
Looking forward to seeing what you come up with! Take your time and be safe!

Dan Forman
04-16-2011, 12:17 AM
Wonder what lurks under there?

Dan

John Hart
04-16-2011, 7:01 AM
Looks exciting to me too!! Just remember to take breaks when you get tired....It'll still be there after a short breather.

Bill Bulloch
04-16-2011, 7:13 AM
Boy that's a ugly looking thing, bet it turns out to be a beauty. Do you have a plan?

John Keeton
04-16-2011, 7:14 AM
It is morning!! Any progress pics yet?? I will be very interested to see what is on the inside of this.

Tony De Masi
04-16-2011, 7:44 AM
What's the plan here Dale? Sure looks like it may create challenges in so many ways.

Donny Lawson
04-16-2011, 8:42 AM
First of all, "Thanks" for posting pics of the great looking burl that should have some extreamly looking character on the inside. I've got some burls of my own and haven't figured out how to really mount them until now. I cannot wait to see some "In process" pics. This will get me in the mood to jump on some of my oak or cherry burls. Thanks again and good luck.

Russell Eaton
04-16-2011, 8:54 AM
I like the pictures of the progress of a project. I will keep checking. That has a lot of potential.

Dale Bright
04-16-2011, 9:02 AM
Well guys, my plan is safety first, as always and I think I am just going to cut a bowl out of the center depression of the burl. When I have a decent bowl shape I may turn it around onto a jam chuck and work on the outside. I might even turn a tennon to turn it back around for more face work, I dunno....

That is what I have in mind so far. This will really be one of those "create as you go" pieces. I am stuck with the way I mounted it because of the way it was cut from the log.

More pics to follow......

Dale

Dale Bright
04-16-2011, 10:07 AM
I have started on the burl and I have a long way to go.

Dale

Bernie Weishapl
04-16-2011, 11:09 AM
Exciting and challenging looking. Be safe.

bob svoboda
04-16-2011, 11:17 AM
That's really a monster! Looking forward to progressive pic's.

David Reed
04-16-2011, 11:20 AM
Looks interesting and exciting. Just a thought, if you are not already deep into the hollowing yet. It seems to me that if you turn a bowl with this surface as the top, you will remove a lot of the burl figure and the base may not have as much. If I were turning this lovely piece, I would make this the outside of the bowl to conserve and show off the burl perhaps better - IMHO.

Dale Bright
04-16-2011, 11:29 AM
Looks interesting and exciting. Just a thought, if you are not already deep into the hollowing yet. It seems to me that if you turn a bowl with this surface as the top, you will remove a lot of the burl figure and the base may not have as much. If I were turning this lovely piece, I would make this the outside of the bowl to conserve and show off the burl perhaps better - IMHO.

David,

I would agree about the burl figure and bowl shape but this burl has a large bowl shaped hollow on the outside. That is why I had to orient it the way I did. This is basically a ring of small burls and the center goes down to the outside of the main trunk.

Dale

Terry Murphy
04-16-2011, 11:44 AM
How about one of those Bird House Ornaments?

David DeCristoforo
04-16-2011, 12:11 PM
Stand back, boys... this could cause another earthquake...

Scientists are baffled by a sudden shift in the Earth's rotational axis that occurred at precisely 6PM on Friday April 15th.

Dale Bright
04-16-2011, 1:36 PM
The Earth is shaking while this thing is turning. It is really out of balance.

Here are a couple more progress pics.

Dale

Dale Bright
04-16-2011, 5:42 PM
Well I decided to make this a "natural edge burl platter on a pedestal". That is the only way I could see getting it to work. I left it about an inch thick and I decided to hollow the pedestal but it was so rotten in the middle that I had to take it off the lathe and chisel the center out.

The piece is now in a large brown paper bag on the floor of my shop. The sanding will have to be done off the lathe unless I can find some way to mount it.

Here are the last of the turning pics.

Dale

Donny Lawson
04-17-2011, 11:17 AM
That's a wild looking piece.How much time do you have in it so far?

Dale Bright
04-17-2011, 12:27 PM
That's a wild looking piece.How much time do you have in it so far?

I probably have about 4 hours so far. After it drys I will sand it and put a finish on it and that will take another 2 - 3 hours or so.

Dale