PDA

View Full Version : New Sawtop folding outfeed table and a boo-boo

Dennis French
04-15-2011, 10:25 PM
Well, I thought I'd share this experience with my fellow Creekers. I built a folding outfeed table for my new 3HP Sawstop Professional. I really thought this through and even talked to a Sawstop rep at one of the Expos in my area. I was telling him that I wasn't overly fond of drilling into the cabinet to attach the steel angle bar that would support the fixed portion of the table. He suggested that since I was getting the industrial base that I might be able to attach the bar to the base. Hmmmm, a great idea! So, I started building away and indeed I was able to take out two bolts on each side of the base attach my angle bar and rebolt-volia, my angle bar is in place ( see the pics). So I finished the table, laminated it with some left over brushed graphite that I used on a big job last October, added my folding legs and there it is. I'm happy with it, looks great and does its job admirably. THEN, I fold the table, give the base pedal a couple of pumps and I hear a creeeaaaakkkk. And then it hits me!! The bar attachment at the mobile base is on the FIXED frame portion of the base. The saw rests on bars that raise and lower it. So, tomorrow, I'll be taking it apart, moving the angle bar up above the dust collection outlet and bolting it to the cabinet. Oh Well, thought I was being clever!
191615191616 191617

Alan Lightstone
04-15-2011, 10:54 PM
Just finished building mine to my SawStop contractor's saw. There were a million little issues in getting it correct. Great having it, but I learned lots of lessons the hard way with it too. Including getting a kickback to the belly from the outfeed table being a few millimeters too high. Still have the scar.

Dennis French
04-15-2011, 10:57 PM
Ouch!!! Nice design, though!

Mac Cambra
04-15-2011, 11:29 PM
I am interested in seeing the router insert modification you did. Any chance to get some details?

Dennis French
04-16-2011, 12:12 AM
I am interested in seeing the router insert modification you did. Any chance to get some details?

Sure, I can do that. I'll need to take a few pics. Basically, I added a Woodpeckers PRL lift, and a 32" Rockler fence. I had to put in the track as well. I reinforced the table and built the downdraft dust collection box (which works great) I'll add some detail pics tomorrow.

Mac Cambra
04-16-2011, 3:21 PM
I will look forward to it, I have the same lift (Incra version) - got it for Christmas and have yet to use it. Could decide whether or not to spend on a new table or do something else.

Dennis French
04-17-2011, 4:11 PM
I will look forward to it, I have the same lift (Incra version) - got it for Christmas and have yet to use it. Could decide whether or not to spend on a new table or do something else.

OK, Mac here are some pics of the setup. I did not put in a mitre gauge slot because I rarely use one with the router and it would have entailed cutting into the Sawstop's rails. I also have an Incra and use it when I need to do that kind routing(but the Incra fence doesn't have dust collection). I use a foot control for the router and built a storage box underneath the table for when its not in use. Here are some pics:

191822 191821 191823 191820

Mac Cambra
04-17-2011, 8:48 PM
Thank you Dennis, I know you went to some extra trouble to show me this. It looks like a real nice set-up and it will save me some space. I have the same setup as you, Sawstop ICS, and the same router lift. Instead of the PC router, I am using the Milwaukee 5625.

Do you think there is any downside to rotating the orientation of your set-up 90 degrees such that the router table would be used from the front of the extension table as opposed to the end? Seems like it might work better that way for me.

Dennis French
04-18-2011, 8:43 PM
Thank you Dennis, I know you went to some extra trouble to show me this. It looks like a real nice set-up and it will save me some space. I have the same setup as you, Sawstop ICS, and the same router lift. Instead of the PC router, I am using the Milwaukee 5625.

Do you think there is any downside to rotating the orientation of your set-up 90 degrees such that the router table would be used from the front of the extension table as opposed to the end? Seems like it might work better that way for me.
Well, you would be not be feeding standing at the end of the table if the back of the fence is reversed from my setup. Pretty much, this is the same as a standard router table except the table is longer. If you reverse it, it seems like it would be very awkward to me, but maybe you could get used to it.

Mac Cambra
04-19-2011, 12:28 AM
I didn't mean reverse the fence position, I meant orient it parallel to the saw fence rails with the back of the fence facing the out feed side or back of the saw. The intent would be to feed the stock along the length of the saw and extension table and not across it. The only downside I can think of is that with longer pieces I would have to remove the saw fence, but that is not a big deal.

Anyway, thanks a lot again for the pictures, I think your set-up is great both from an implementation standpoint and a functional standpoint as well. BTW: did you do anything special to prevent the laminant from chipping during routing, or does the template protect that like a backer board would?

Dennis French
04-20-2011, 10:28 PM
I didn't mean reverse the fence position, I meant orient it parallel to the saw fence rails with the back of the fence facing the out feed side or back of the saw. The intent would be to feed the stock along the length of the saw and extension table and not across it. The only downside I can think of is that with longer pieces I would have to remove the saw fence, but that is not a big deal.

Anyway, thanks a lot again for the pictures, I think your set-up is great both from an implementation standpoint and a functional standpoint as well. BTW: did you do anything special to prevent the laminant from chipping during routing, or does the template protect that like a backer board would?

Ooohhh, I see what you mean. I dont see where that would be a problem. I used a brand new bit to cut the laminate and it didn't chip at all. Did it in two passes. Good luck, Mac!

glenn bradley
04-20-2011, 10:39 PM
Good heavens man! There's some sort of large red monstrosity jammed into your shop. Quick, call the neighbors and get some help to get it out of there befor it bumps your saw ;-)

Dennis French
04-22-2011, 10:02 PM
Yeah, every now and then the beast tries to take over the shop!