PDA

View Full Version : New Tool Gloat

Harry Robinette
04-15-2011, 7:28 PM
Went to see Doug Thompson today,Had a great time as always just talking to Doug about tools and other equipment. While I was there I had to get a couple more of his tools and handles,now I'm up to 11 gouges, 9 handles and a round skew ,Also here's 191592191591something I started last night, wont be able to do much till next week now so it's going to take a while.Doc finally said I can turn but no large bowls he knows I turn up to 25".:D:D:D

Dan Forman
04-15-2011, 7:50 PM
One of the advantages of living near the candy store!

Dan

Russell Eaton
04-15-2011, 7:52 PM
That is a sweet Thompson arsenal.

Tim Thiebaut
04-15-2011, 8:12 PM
OK...I am jealous. Those are very cool, I hope to be able to afford at least a few someday. And I like the drawing you have in the second picture to.

Cathy Schaewe
04-15-2011, 8:31 PM
now I'm up to 11 gouges, 9 handles and a round skew

okay, that's just not right. There ought to be a gloat limit ....;)

Steve Schlumpf
04-15-2011, 10:02 PM
WOW! Looks like you have the collector's edition! Nice assortment of tools!

Looking forward to seeing the turning project once it is completed!

Doug Thompson
04-15-2011, 10:35 PM
It was good to see you too... Harry has a surprise... something we made on the spot. Wood lathes are fun but cnc metal lathes that run 1,200 inches a minute are really cool!

Bernie Weishapl
04-15-2011, 11:00 PM
Probably a good thing I don't live near Doug. I would be in trouble with the SWMBO all the time.:eek::rolleyes:;)

John Keeton
04-16-2011, 7:12 AM
Harry, your "herd" is increasing!! You aren't buying breeding stock, are you!?!? Very nice lineup, and congrats.

Looks like a little Alan Carter influence in your drawing. Is that maple you are going to use?

Harry Robinette
04-16-2011, 2:05 PM
As we all know we need good tools and I finally found ones that are great for me.The nerve damage in my thumbs is hard to work around,but Dougs handles seem to do it for me I can turn for a hour at a time with his tool handles. Using round handles the pain in my thumbs makes me stop every 20 to 30 minutes and rest for quit a while before I can turn anymore.Also Doug made me up a custom handle for my big gouge so my hands can hold and work the big gouge and again THANKS DOUG.Doug is right seeing his cnc lathe running at those high speeds doing my handle was unbelievable.
John I really like Alan's design work and it is in that style but the piece I'm working on is going to swing back and forth I hope,it's sort of a take off from the Balancing Act.The center piece is Oak and the up-rights are Hickory,the up-rights may get dyed not sure yet and the base will be ???????.So hopefully I get to work on it this coming week.The piece's I'm doing right now I'm trying to design movement into,and it's rather challenging.

Roland Martin
04-16-2011, 5:02 PM
okay, that's just not right. There ought to be a gloat limit ....;)

DITTO!!! At the very least, only show one at a time.