PDA

View Full Version : Snowstorm (or why I didn't get to turn today!)

Bernie Weishapl
04-15-2011, 5:26 PM
Yea I know it is not turning but this is the reason I didn't turn today. I was hoping to do a HF vase and try some dye's on it but spent the day digging out. We couldn't get out the back door at all and I had to brace myself and push the front door open. Snowblower did no good as it was so wet and heavy. I just finished and am dog tired so the HF will have to wait. First is the side of our house which faces North, next is the driveway, and the last is the back door.

Jim Burr
04-15-2011, 5:44 PM
WOW!!! Just think Bernie, it's only 3 more months until summer!!

David E Keller
04-15-2011, 5:46 PM
Ahhh... Spring in Kansas? That can't be good for the local farmers and yard enthusiasts.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-15-2011, 5:57 PM
The snow God is angry with those folks in Kansas!

Summer is coming Bernie!

Mark Hubl
04-15-2011, 6:29 PM
Man, that is the last thing I want to see. Just started cleaning up thinking spring had sprung. I hope that is not heading this way. Hope it melts fast!

Dan Forman
04-15-2011, 6:42 PM
Yikes!!! Hope it melts quickly enough without causing flooding. Reminds me of the year in Boulder CO, we got about 30" on May 8th. Trees were down all over because they were already leafing out, so more snow accumulate on them than the branches could support. Wasn't turning then, so couldn't take advantage of any of that downed wood.

Dan

Cathy Schaewe
04-15-2011, 8:25 PM
That stinks. It's about what it's looked like here for the last 5 months, until about a week ago. My sympathies...

Greg Just
04-15-2011, 8:43 PM
WOW - that's a lot of snow for April 15th. We might get an inch tonight up here. Very cold and windy today. Stay safe!

Steve Schlumpf
04-15-2011, 9:59 PM
WOW - looks like you got your exercise for the day! Good thing is that you know it won't last very long! We have been getting conflicting forecasts - lots of snow or rain/snow mix. Will find out first hand tomorrow!

Looking forward to seeing your hollow form - when you get the chance to finish it!

Scott Hackler
04-15-2011, 10:06 PM
Geez Bernie! Must be rough living in the Bermuda Triangle of Kansas! We didnt get the snow, but the wind has been gusting up to 40-50+ and COLD! Still better than the hail we got a couple days ago.

Got a club meeting tomorrow in Wichita, so get the chains on the truck tires and starting heading east!

Bernie Weishapl
04-15-2011, 11:07 PM
Thanks all. Yep the wind at times was sustained at 63 mph. Scott our windchills were around 0 deg at times yesterday. The other problem was it was so wet and heavy each shovel full felt like 100 lbs. I did get my exercise but also got some rest inbetween. It has melted quite a bit but still has a ways to go. Summer can't come fast enough. The older I get the worse winters get.

Steve we were suppose to get only rain but boy mother nature sure reared her ugly head on this one.

Michael James
04-15-2011, 11:41 PM
I have this thing called work which prohibits my getting at the lathe M-F. I have retirement envy and therefore no sympathy for a day away from the lathe. However shoveling snow sucks..... condolances Bernie!:D

Tim Thiebaut
04-16-2011, 12:33 AM
Holy smokes, we got just a touch yesterday Bernie, but the rain melted it right after it hit, you guys really got slammed out there.

Tony De Masi
04-16-2011, 7:41 AM
Wow. Spring in Kansas sure is unpredictable huh? Hope it melts fast Bernie. I can thell that HF is still calling your name.

John Keeton
04-16-2011, 7:55 AM
Bernie, I sure hope you get some warming temps soon!!! You really got dumped on - big time!

Bruce Smith
04-16-2011, 8:28 AM
Bernie what did you do to deserve this, you certainly got dumped on BIG TIME. That looks like more snow that we had all winter. The thing is that the sun is getting higher each day and the stuff certainly won't stay around to long, the grass is begining to get green here. So don't give up on the HF. Weather patterns in North America during the last six or eight months have certainly been strange but thank heavens no earth quakes.

Bob Noles
04-16-2011, 9:03 AM
Dang Bernie.... now I remember why I live in the South :eek:

Hey, take it easy on the shoveling, it is hard on old folks like us!

Ken Hill
04-16-2011, 9:35 AM
I feel for ya.....take it slow and get yourself dug out.

Pete Jordan
04-16-2011, 9:51 AM
Wow Bernie!

All I can do is shake my head and sympathize.

Bernie Weishapl
04-16-2011, 11:08 AM
Thanks again. I tell ya what is crazy I just saw the weather channel and today is suppose to be near 65* and 75* tomorrow. Won't even know it snowed probably by tonight. The weather is just crazy but I guess it is that time of year. This stuff drifted more than usual but I guess that was to be expected with 63 mph winds. Did get the house doors shoveled and the shop cleared out. Then decided I had enough and let the sun do the rest. Didn't want a heart attack. The neighbor in the next block over did have one shoveling his house out. 7 of us went down and shoveled so the ambulance could get in. Definitely makes you stop and think.

David Reed
04-16-2011, 11:14 AM
Sorry I missed it. This is merely the leftovers from one of the several systems Washington has seen nearly daily. We extract the water (rain here) we want (or don't want) then send them down the road. Enjoy, and no need to thank us for sharing.

Bernie Weishapl
04-16-2011, 11:25 AM
David don't mind the rain or even the snow if the blower will handle it but this stuff was so wet there was no way except to shovel. Keep the snow but you can send the rain.:D

I guess I should be thankful that we got some moisture as we are in a drought and dry. Burn bans most of the winter.