PDA

View Full Version : Countertop in the Laundry

Tom Peterson
01-31-2005, 9:32 PM
I am going to make a wooden countertop for the laundry that will span a front loading washer and dryer. This counter will be supported on one side by a 24" cabinet and an 18" cabinet on the other side. I am considering using 4/4 - 4" maple in a 30" wide glue-up. My question(s) is the span of ~54" acceptable? (there will be a cleat in the back to support it for the full length and a thicker detail edge in the front). I have been told to seal the bottom surface due to moisture concerns. Anything else to know or look out for?

Wes Bischel
01-31-2005, 9:43 PM
Tom,
I recently used this site to calculate the strength of a shelf for my TV.

http://www.woodbin.com/calcs/sagulator.htm

I'm not sure about the other items you brought up.

Wes

John Pollman
01-31-2005, 10:37 PM
Here's something to think about.....

I've got a similar setup as you do. I've got a front load washer and dryer side by side in my laundry room. If I'm facing the cabinets and counter it goes, 24" cabinet with drawer, 24" sink base with drop in laundry tub, dryer, then washer. I made one long countertop to span the entire distance. It rests on the two cabinets and then the tops of the machines in front and then a 1x4 cleat that I attached to the wall at the rear. I fabricated it and then laminated it and installed it before I decided to hang a triple cabinet above the machines. Now that the cabinet is in place, it's going to be a bear if I ever have to move one of the machines out for repair. :( You know what they say, PLAN AHEAD ! It works out fine but if I had it to do again (which I probably will end up doing anyway), I'd make it so that the section above the machines is easily removeable for service on the machines. Actually the wife wants a bigger storage cabinet in there anyway so I may just redesign it and make it RIGHT this time. :)

Just think about the serviceablity of the machines below the top !

John

Jeff Sudmeier
02-01-2005, 8:22 AM
The countertop sounds like a wonderful idea! One way that you could support the center of the countertop, if it will sag too much, is to put in about a 3 inch spacer between the washer and dryer. Run it from the floor to the bottom of the countertop. With the cleat on the back wall and the center support, it should not sag.

Mark Singer
02-01-2005, 8:29 AM
That is great!!!!

Thanks!

Tom,
I recently used this site to calculate the strength of a shelf for my TV.

http://www.woodbin.com/calcs/sagulator.htm

I'm not sure about the other items you brought up.

Wes